Chapter 1: Doodles

Fourteen-year-old Aila Hope Vacker studied her parchment. It was covered in colorful swirls that spiraled to the edge of the page, creating large patterns of black, blue, and purple. Biting her lip, she turned the page sideways, tapping her pencil against the flowy fabric of her skirt that clung to her thigh.

The room was stuffy and humid, fogging up Aila's brain and making it even harder for her to concentrate. She could just register Brant's constant droning about how she could use Vanishing to her advantage in a battlefield. What she couldn't understand was why she'd need to know that. Elves were peaceful creatures and didn't fight, so when would she ever need to use her ability during a war?

Taking another look at the parchment, she uncapped a red pen, outlining each curve with the bold, red ink. Blood on the battlefield. The life of others spilled on the ground.

"Aila!"

Brant's harsh voice brought her back to reality.

"Were you even paying attention?"

"What are you talking about?" She twirled a caramel lock of hair around her finger, the artificial light illuminating it, creating a blinding, golden color. Her eyes stayed on the paper, not moving.

Brant let out an angry huff. "You know exactly what."

"No, I don't," Aila responded, batting her thick eyelashes. "Care to explain?"

Brant's fists curled, his eyebrows scrunching up as he glared at her. "You little—"

The door opened, revealing Alvar and Fintan.

"What's going on here?" Fintan asked.

Alvar narrowed his eyes, the cobalt orbs glaring straight into Brant's. "If you lay one finger on her..." The threat in his tone was obvious, and Brant shrunk back a bit.

"I... Well, s-she wasn't paying attention," Brant stammered. His marred face was ghostly pale.

"For the record, I was paying attention," Aila announced. "I was just doodling too. There's a thing called multi-tasking for a reason."

Fintan turned to Aila. "Brant has a point. You really need to focus on this, and solely this. It will be important for you later in life."

"What? Learning how to fight in a war that is non-existent?" Aila snapped, her teal Vacker eyes glaring at Fintan.

Fintan returned her hard stare, saying, "We have plans for you. Plans that even you couldn't wrap your brain around. I've tried being nice to you, but maybe we'll have to switch to other methods of teaching you to listen."

Aila subconsciously touched her shoulder blades. "Okay, fine."

"Shouldn't you at least punish her? It's not fair if she's treated differently than everyone else here." Brant had regained his confidence, avoiding Alvar's fiery gaze.

Fintan stared into space for a few seconds, drumming his fingers against the wall beside him. "What do you propose, Aila?"

"Let me think... How about nothing?" She glowered at Brant, eyes flashing.

Fintan scowled. "For that, your punishment will be taking the test early."

"What test?" Aila asked, startled.

"The skills test."

"Why have I never heard of this before?"

"Maybe because you haven't been paying attention in class," Brant interrupted, a his lip curling into a smug smile, wrinkling his scarred face.

"Shut up, Brant," Alvar spat. "She's doing her best! If you would just open the windows, maybe it would be easier for her to concentrate. I can't think straight in this stuffy room."

"Enough!" Fintan said, his voice raising. "Aila, it would probably be best if you went back to your tent to study for the skills test."

"When is it?"

"As soon as we finish setting up."

"Which would be?"

"Very soon. Now go."

Aila dashed out of the room as fast as she could, her ink-covered parchment flying out of her hands.

The swirls that filled the page formed shadows of a long neck and feathered body: red, blue, and purple lining the elegant black swan.

A/N: Hmm... Am I hinting at something? Maybe. Probably. Definitely.

Heyyyy!!! Kurpy here! So, hopefully you liked this update. OR, if you read the original version, liked it better. Ummm... I was procrastinating on my math homework, because my math teacher (who is usually very good about not giving us too much work) gave my class 48 systems problems... And I still have history and english (but thankfully no science). So I'll be having a very late night.

Again, hope you enjoyed. Please comment if anything doesn't make sense or something. Surpy always likes to say that my writing is always way too confusing. She says most of my stories are a prologue and cliffhanger.

BAI!!!!!!

Kurpy