IX

Hey you guys! I'm sorry for such the long wait...Explanation in bottom A/N.

--

As Zuko paused to mark some of the parchment against the wall of the palace, Lu Ten slapped the brush from his fingers.

"You got ink everywhere," Zuko said, jumping back, watching as the brush skidded across the ground.

"I'm," Lu Ten said, reaching down and picking the brush up very purposefully, "Confiscating this from you."

"But I just-"

"The motion draft is fine, cousin," Lu Ten said, holding the brush high above his head as Zuko tried to reach for it. "Better than fine. As close to perfect as it can be. Dad wouldn't let you ask Uncle Ozai with anything less.

Zuko pulled a frown. It was only in moments like this that it was obvious how much taller Lu Ten was than him. Lu Ten was stringy and built like a tree. Zuko wasn't short, but when Lu Ten had the brush balancing on his fingertips, Zuko was still a foot away from grasping it.

"As close to perfect, exactly," Zuko argued. "Which means there's room for error." Nervously, his fingers picked at the edges of the parchment.

"Well, as dad would say-"

"Don't," Zuko groaned. The last thing he needed was a vague life affirmation.

"Nothing in life is perfect."

Zuko locked his jaw. It had been less philosophical than he was expecting, but it didn't irritate him any less.

"Look, just one more note, so I don't forget," Zuko begged, jumping to grab the brush. Lu Ten just stood on his tip-toes.

"No! Because after that, it will be another, and another, and another-"

"I'm the Heir Apparent!" Zuko didn't like pulling title often, but in times like this, he felt it was necessary. Lu Ten just laughed.

"No, you're little Cousin Zuzy to me, face smeared with jam and trying to eat dandelions," Lu Ten teased, rolling his eyes.

"Just-give-that-to-" Zuko began, hopping, waving his hands, and trying to get Lu Ten to yield. Lu Ten waved the paper around, and at this point, Zuko wasn't sure if he was doing it for the stated purpose, or just to mess with him a bit. It didn't matter. The door flew open, unnoticed to both, until Ozai's dark voice crept over their skin.

"I must be dreaming, for I can't possibly be seeing two members of the Royal Family hopping about like a pair of brainless Hog Monkeys, or worse, plebeian children."

Immediately, all joking ceased. Lu Ten dropped into a bow on the floor, and Zuko knelt, swallowing hard.

"Dad," he murmured, face blushing bright scarlet.

"Uncle Ozai," Lu Ten said respectfully, his voice quivering, just a bit. When Ozai only frowned at him, Lu Ten inhaled, saying even quieter, "My Grace."

Seemingly pleased with making his nephew grovel, he turned his attention to Zuko.

"If anyone had seen the pair of you," he began to bite out, his displeasure abundantly clear, "You, of all people, my son-"

"It was me, Uncle," Lu Ten said, standing. "I was the one that caused him to act in such an unrefined way. My fault."

Lu Ten, when push came to shove, would always have Zuko's back. He'd take the blame, without fail, even if was Zuko's blame to shoulder. He looked after Zuko like that, and the thought that Lu Ten would stand against Ozai for him every time, let the consequences pile on himself, caused Zuko's heart to hurt.