XIX

Lieutenant Lee met Zuko at the palace doors upon their arrival from Makapu.

"Your highness, your father said that he wanted to call a meeting as soon as you arrived."

"At this hour?" Zuko growled.

"Unfortunately."

"Look, our little family get-togethers can wait until tomorrow," Zuko said. "We're all exhausted. It's been a very long day of traveling, you see."

"No." Lee had a wild, fearful look in his eye. "A meeting for you and all the Contestants."

"Great." Zuko pinched the bridge of his nose. "His last 'group meeting' went over so well."

"That's what I'm afraid of, sir," Lee said with a long, exhausted sigh.

"And you have no idea what this might be?" Zuko asked. "The tournament's in what..." He counted off on his fingers. "Eight days? What could my father possibly have decided that will upend these girls again? And why am I just hearing about this?"

"Well, I think you're hearing about it now," Lee said, wincing.

"I...arg...that man," Zuko kicked the wall.

"Sir, are you okay? You seem more angry than usual."

"I'm fine," Zuko snapped, though he did have to admit he was angrier than usual. Not only was the tournament fast approaching (and Zuko had thoughts about that; mostly he hated his control about the future of his wife being so easily taken away, but he had considered this was the punishment for dragging his feet), but Katara seemed out to get under his skin. Well, she usually did, but before it had been with cute and sexy teasing things. Now, she just seemed like she was a thorn in his side. Whenever he thought he was making headway on her iciness towards him, something else would get her angry again.

"Stupid father, stupid tournament, stupid announcements..." Zuko grumbled as he shucked off his traveling clothes, throwing them in an untidy pile at his feet. "Lee, find my hand servant. How long before this 'meeting'?"

"Now that you're here, likely an hour to gather and sit everyone."

"Perfect. Have my hand servant draw a bath. Scalding. With any luck, I'll fry before I have to sit through whatever brilliant idea my father's about to announce."

He paused in the doorway, thinking of something suddenly.

"Yes, sir?" Lee said, seeing him stop.

"Is my cousin Kuzon back yet?" he asked, inhaling.

"Not yet, sir."

"Let me know when the second he's returned."

XXxxXX

Katara tried to hold back her fifth yawn, with little success. She covered her mouth, shuffling to the meeting space with the rest of the girls.

"Gee, Katara, why so tired?" Toph said, punching her shoulder, "Is it because you and the Prince were up to naughty, naughty things on your trip?"

"Ha, hardly," Katara said, blinking back her dreariness. "We'd have to actually be talking for that to happen."

"Ye-ouch." Toph raised her eyebrows. "That tone could cut steel, Sugar Queen."

"It's the truth. Try, rather, being shoved into a tiny, bouncy box for eight hours and being expected to get any sleep at all."

"So the trip sucked?" Toph surmised, scratching her ear, but she didn't sound surprised.

Katara gnawed her lip, thinking of Aunt Wu and her predictions. Of bloodbending and splitting her lip open. Of the feelings that swarmed her mind as she stitched Zuko's veins back together, how connected she felt delving inside of his body. Of the flower pressed between one of her books, a flower that she felt like a lovesick fool for holding on to.