Chapter 1

Christine Daae was a young lady living with her godmother Madam Giry when she received the news of her new job as a governess for a wealthy man named Erik Destler. She had only heard the small rumors of him. He was a man who earned his money through composing music for the Paris opera house. Madam Giry has also told her about how he had been a very successful architect. She had never seen the man, he was never in town, and when he would visit Madam Giry she was forced to stay in her room. Christine didn't know how her job would be. She was very good at taking care of children but how could she raise them with him being gone for so long?
She questioned as she packed her things and got dressed for the journey through town to his home. She despised going into town. She never felt comfortable, she had the feeling like someone was always following her. The only times she would go into town was to get food for the night or cross through to get to the opera house. She would spend most of her time out on the porch of Madam Giry's home. She loved it especially at night when she could see all the fireflies. She liked it during the day too but only in the spring when all the flowers were in bloom. Other than those times she's spend time inside or practicing at the opera house.
As she road in the carriage to his home she looked out at the huge home and the grounds that surrounded it. She noticed a large fence around the entire property that was black just like the house. As she got out of the carriage she grabbed her two bags and walked up the dark steps...