Chapter One

"COME ON, KARA." My friend Layla slurred to me, fanning my face with her alcoholic breath. I groaned as I swung her limp arm over my shoulder. Layla leaned on me for support and I tried my best to keep both of us from toppling over. We've been here for barely an hour and she was already wasted. I made my way through the large house that reeked of booze and cologne. The strong scent tickled my nose.

"Where's Jess?" I asked my drunk friend, which felt as if I were talking to a wall. Layla took a moment to adjust her shiny, green skirt. Her long blonde locks were still perfectly curled and I moved them behind her so they weren't sticking to her pink face.

Even though fall was upon us, the house was warm and humid.

"Over there," She stretched out a slender finger and pointed in the direction to the small crowd of people that were dancing wildly. Jess was in the middle, grinding on a guy.

"I'll take care of her." Layla's boyfriend showed up. They'd been dating since sophomore year. Milo quickly brushed his sandy brown hair back before coming closer and began pulling her weight off me.

"Oh, thank God." I carefully removed her from my shoulder and breathed a sigh of relief. Layla squealed in delight and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend who chuckled in response.

"Go have fun, Kara." Milo smiled at me and I did my best to return it. I was feeling extremely antisocial tonight. My heart was in a heavy place and I wanted to heal it.

"Kara!" Jess yelled my name over the loud music. I turned to see my flush-faced friend bobbing up and down behind a few other people. It was obvious that she had been dancing all night. "Are you having fun?" She questioned as she walked up to me with a worried glance.

I gave her a quick nod, "As much as I can." My lips formed into an uneasy smile and Jess squeezed my hand before holding it tightly.

"Come dance." She tugged me towards the crowd of dancing people before I could reproach it. Jess loved to dance. It's a part of our Mexican roots, she liked to say.

Jess dragged me further into the middle of the active crowd. Bodies bumping against me, the strong scent of alcohol, and the overwhelming amount of perfume were all a deadly combination that were suffocating me.

I watched my tipsy friend begin to move her body along with the loud party music. Her thick, black hair was cascading down her back, and the blue dress she was wearing made her dark brown eyes pop. I stood there awkwardly at first, closely watching as everyone else danced and swayed their bodies to the beat of the music, seeming carefree. I somewhat envied them. Overthinking was a bad habit of mine.

Jess leaned forward and brought her red lips next to my ear, "Dance Kara, stop thinking about Adam." My heart instantly ached at the sound of his name. I wanted to never hear that stupid name again, but I knew that was inevitable.

Three weeks ago, I had walked into my boyfriend's house thinking that we were going to go on a date, but instead I showed up only to find him in his room making out with some other girl. I yelled at him, he said some hurtful words, and I left. It was over, and I haven't spoken to him since. It's been an agonizing three weeks.

Jess was right, though. I hadn't left my room for a whole week, and if it weren't for her and Layla, I'd probably still be an emotional wreck. It took me four seasons of Supernatural to get over the major heartache, and even then it still hurts.

Another popular song began to play, and Jess squealed loudly causing me to laugh at her reaction. I started to slowly dance along with the beat, pushing away any thoughts in my mind. As I began to get more comfortable, I danced wildly with Jess and adrenaline spiked through me. It was nice to finally feel the slightest bit of relief. The rush of freedom and feeling carefree took over, and my mind was at ease for the first time in weeks. I was out with my two best friends, and that's all I needed.