6. His story

A/N: This might be a "boring" chapter, but I feel like it might be an important one. Hope y'all enjoy anyway (:

***

A few weeks ago

Trenton was walking through an alley, trying to look straight ahead, but his eyes kept drifting off, and he couldn't get them to focus on a thing. He didn't realize how slow he was walking and the fact that he used the entire width of the alley by walking from one side to the other.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder, making him want to turn around way too fast. Faster than he could handle.

Half way through turning around, Trenton fell over, onto his back.

"Hey, do you have a light?"

The dude reached out his hand, wanting to help Trenton up, but Trenton hit the hand away and got up grunting and groaning.

He pushed the guy backwards and looked him straight in the eye.

"Don't you fucking touch me." Trenton was slurring his words, without himself realizing it.

"Sorry dude, I just needed a lighter."

"Stop fucking talking!" Trenton paused after every word, making sure his warning got across clearly. He wasn't going to warn again...

The unknown guy in front of him opened his mouth one last time to try and get a word out.

A lost cause, as Trenton's vision got pitch-black, and he hit him right in the face before he got a chance to say a word.

The guy fell to ground, still conscious, but spitting out some blood on the ground.

"What the hell, dude?!" He exclaimed.

This only encouraged Trenton to go on and keep letting his anger out on the guy.

Trenton went to stand over him and kept hitting him in the face, until the man underneath him stopped moving and stopped making a sound.

***

Coley silently listened to Trenton telling his story, while she tried to wrap her mind around it all. She still didn't understand what Sonya had to do with all this.

"Dad had just told us about mom and..." Trenton swallowed loudly, tears started to form in his eyes.

"I passed out next to him or on top of him... I— I don't know."

Coley just looked at him, encouraging him to go on, knowing the story wasn't over yet.

"Next thing I knew, I was in an ambulance. I slowly remembered what I'd done and refused them to treat me, as long as I didn't know if the other guy was going to make it. I didn't wanna live with that burden."

"Trenton, what does...—"

"I'm getting to it!" He snapped at her, which made her flinch a little. She tried to hide the fact. She didn't want her brother to think she was afraid of him, after what he'd just told her.

"It took a while, but he woke up. Paralyzed from the neck down. He didn't remember the incident and I remember telling him that it was all my fault and the reasons behind my sudden outburst." Her brother swallowed again, thinking back to their mother.

"He told me he wasn't gonna press charges, but only if I updated him about my life weekly. I've been visiting him at least once a week ever since. After the incident I also decided to go to an AA meeting, knowing it had gone to far and acknowledging the fact that I needed help."

He glanced inside, looking at his girlfriend.

"That's how I met Sonya. She used to be an alcoholic, but has been sober for over two years."

Now it was Coley's turn to catch a glance into the living room. Tears started to form in her eyes, while she caught Sonya's eyes with hers and mouthed a "thank you".

Sonya was Trenton's anchor, and he loved her so deeply. That much was clear to Coley after his story.

The realization hit her hard either way. She couldn't pursue whatever she was feeling toward the girl, even though she actually had no idea what it was.

Coley felt her heart break a little inside her chest, knowing she had to keep an appropriate distance from the girl. She didn't know if she was going to be able to hold herself back if she was ever alone in the same room with her.