Ch. 9.2 The Many Guises of Invitation

Lycinder stood by the double glass doors in the front parlour, watching the human world go by on the wide avenue outside the gate at the end of the drive. His own pleasant mood took him somewhat by surprise as he took in the passing carriages and promenading people enjoying the brisk sunshine of a winter that was melting to spring, but it was good to stretch his legs again on this plane.

Dalli's industriousness over the nine— now ten— days since she'd seized her freedom began to make sense; now that he was corporeal and free to move about it again, Lycinder was full to the brim with energy and curiosity about the world and what it might offer him.

His mistress' quick steps caught his attention and he turned at last from the window to see her making her way down the stairs. One swooping brow raised just slightly as he took her in. This was different. Gone was the girlishness of yesterday, and in its place...

Just the pointed toes of black, heeled boots emerged from the hem of a many-pleated, almost floor-length skirt of a dove grey silk that had lavender undertones and a silvery shimmer. It sat high on a narrow, nipped-in waist and was belted with a bow of the same fabric that brought out the color of her smoky, crystalline eyes.

The slight feline slant of those eyes was accentuated this morning by the way top half of her auburn hair had been twisted above the shells of her ears and gathered back from her face to fall in a rill of loose curls down the middle of her back.

A ruffled white cotton shirt had been tucked into the skirt, and its high collar was fastened with a large sapphire pin set in a filigree of silver above a keyhole neckline that bared a diamond shaped glimpse of her décolletage; it was not so low as to be risqué, but enough to draw the eye to that fact that the blouse covered more than just the suggestion of a bust.

A stand collared, velvet frock coat in a midnight blue so dark it was nearly black echoed the high neck of her blouse and sat snugly across her slender shoulders. Not intended to close in the front, it was cut very slim to her figure but for the lace accented sleeves that belled after reaching her elbows. In the back, the fabric was cinched between two buttons behind her waist to drape down in loose pleats reminiscent of a hummingbird's tail.

White lace gloves covered the hands in which she clutched the gang tags worn by last night's uninvited guests.

Lycinder decided he could get used to these changes. He especially liked those heels she wore today; the swaying of her hips from side to side as she descended the stairway was quite pleasant before his lazy-lidded, candent gaze.

"There you are, Lycinder," said Dalli, as though she'd been the one waiting on him to be ready. "I thought we might make a stop on the way to Brokewood's office. I do have at least one friend left in this city, and that's Professor Ahlgren. He's an old mentor of mine from the Academy, and the head of the Aethral Harmonics Department, so it shouldn't be any trouble to find him there. If there are any rumors going around about my return, and if anyone is less than pleased about it, he should know."

"Very good, my lady," Lycinder replied, sketching a quick bow. "Lead the way."

"Well, first..." Dalli began, "...there are a few things we should address before leaving the house."

"Oh?" said Lycinder.

"Yes, erm... With the possible exception of Professor Ahlgren, I don't think it would be a good idea to tell anyone what you are just yet. Have you had some sort of protocol in place for these situations before?"

"What do you mean?" Lycinder asked.

"With other humans, I mean. When you've served other people in the past, how did they explain your presence?" she clarified.