Chapter 15

I just wanted to add a quick disclaimer. This chapter has potentially triggering topics and imagery. Please take any necessary precaution while reading.

Connor's POV

The images were flashing quickly. Cages in an otherwise empty, square room, green eyes staring at me through bars; electric shocks pulsing through my body, seeming to root in my bones, my wrists and ankles fastened against the wall so I was spread wide; human skin blocking my view as pain ripped me apart from the inside, a scream tearing from my throat; a chain with a couple small charms exchanging hands, hushed whispers of reassurance filling the air. The most significant feelings, however, were of cold, empty, loneliness. 

I started awake with a scream, fear lacing through my entire being at the hand I could feel touching my head.  I yanked myself away from whatever, or whoever, was touching me and crashed to the floor. 

My breath was harsh and my body shook. Where was I? Why was I here? My eyes flitted quickly about my surroundings. I was in a bedroom, my back up against what I could only imagine would be a bedside table with a bed to my right. 

"Connor?" he said and my head swiveled quickly, bracing myself for whoever, or whatever, lay above me. I started trying to shuffle away from the bed, toward the door until a head popped over the side and suddenly, everything came crashing back.

I escaped with Emery, found my way back to my family and Jacob, my best friend, my mate. 

"Jacob?" I whispered, tears filling my eyes. 

"Connor. What's wrong?" he asked, his brows furrowing adorably. 

"Jacob," I whimpered, scrambling off the floor and launching myself into the bed. I tackled Jacob back, wrapping my arms around his torso and burying my face in his neck. I could feel my throat closing, tears slipping down my cheeks. 

I took a shaky breath as Jacob spoke up. "Um, not that I'm not into this but are you okay?"

After squeezing him tightly for a second, I released my hold on him and moved my face out of his neck, allowing him to move so he was sitting against the headboard. I moved to take up the spot in his lap, sitting on his thighs, my legs bent on either side of his waist. His cheeks heated up as I placed my hands on his chest, wanting to feel his heartbeat.

As the rhythmic beat of his heart pounded against my fingers, I took another shaky breath as another tear made its way down my face. "I remember. I remember everything." I smiled weakly at him. 

His jaw dropped and he paled a little. "Everything?"

My smile fell as I realized what he must be thinking. "Jacob, I never once blamed you for what happened to me. It wasn't your fault." I lifted my hand to his cheek. He closed his eyes, leaning into my hand as a tear slipped through. "I know you have blamed yourself but it wasn't anyone's fault except the people who took me."

He opened his eyes again, his stormy grey, ringed with red boring into my green ones. "I believe you, but if you don't mind me asking, what happened?"

I sighed, knowing this was coming. I slid my hands down from his cheeks to around his back, resting the left side of my face on his chest so I could hear his heartbeat. I doubt I could tell him everything if I had to look him in the eyes.

"I was kidnapped, taken. The man who grabbed me dragged me through the woods, before I was stabbed with something and everything went black. I woke up in a cage in the back of a van the first time. I was terrified, but the only thing I could think to do was clutch my necklace. So I unclipped it and squeezed it tightly in my hand before passing out again.