Chapter 37: The Unveiling

Hey, guys! I hope you guys are doing awesome.

I know it's been some time and you guys have been waiting, but things have been hectic. I got into an accident the past week. I'm physically fine. No one was injured at all. But that entire day was the shittiest ever.

I also started nursing school and I had to settle into things. I'm scared af because there are many rules. One minor mistake and I will either fail the course or will be dismissed from the program itself. I can't risk that or the 20k I'm paying. I work in the morning and go to classes in the evening. I have no break in between the two. The only time I can write is when I'm in bed at night as I've said numerous times before. All I'm asking here is for you to understand my situation and be respectful cuz the disrespect and negativity are stressing me out even more with college and work. I come to the comments to relax and have a laugh with people in the comments and I wanna keep it that way rather than having it feel like a burden.

Also, I wanna apologize to those whose comments I haven't replied to. I'm really sorry but there were over a thousand comments on the previous chapter and I couldn't find the time to reply to the recent ones or some of the old. If I miss your comment and you have a question I haven't answered, you may message me privately and I promise I'll get to you.

Lastly vote, comment, and share this story with your friends. ENJOY! ❤️

——————————————————

          Fear had my entire body prickling with goosebumps as a defense mechanism. Eyes bore into me fiercely and I couldn't escape the deadly gaze.

          Mike shook his head, his brows pinched together. "I don't understand."

          After taking a deep breath, I cleared my throat and willed myself to meet his puzzled eyes. "Aunt Wendy didn't die that day. She had a faint pulse."

          "That can't be!" he rebuked loudly. "We all checked her fucking pulse. It wasn't there!"

          The blare of his rage-induced voice deafened every other noise, even forcing the doctors at the end of the hall to look for the source of it. Lucian tightened his grip on my leg in fear while Ana broke into a cry at the sound of her father's roar.

Harry tried to pacify the little girl sobbing in her arms. "I'm gonna go calm her down."

"Take Lucian with you." I sent the kids away and faced Mike once again who was fuming. Thankfully, nobody attempted to stop Harry from escorting them into the play area.

"Where is she?" Mike seethed.

The fury contorting his features was something I had only witnessed once before when he was about to rip Astor's head off after that bastard boasted about killing pregnant women, and his threatening tone sent a vicious chill up my spine.

"Follow me," I utter meekly, walking around him. Leo was the least of my worries because it was Mike who I feared at the very second.

The two men followed me through the staircase that accessed the floor above us. An elevator would've been too suffocating for all of us with our nerves wreaking havoc and patience running low. We strode down the hall of the neurology department and headed for the room that contained the answers Mike was looking for.

Opening the door, I let them enter behind me. Aunt Wendy's body laid peacefully on the hospital bed. A feeding tube was inserted through her nostril to make sure she didn't starve or dehydrate.