7. After

6 Years Later

As she walked down the aisle, Sean swore that the world stopped spinning. Kaycee caught his eye and visibly blushed, and averted her gaze to the flowers in her hands. The beautiful pink flush of her skin contrasted against her dress, and oh god, Sean thought his heart would burst. He could hear his friends, Josh and Julian, chuckle and nudge him, but he paid them no mind. There was no one but Kaycee Rice.

"You're beautiful." He mouthed when she reached her place at the front.

She eyed him appreciatively in his tuxedo. "You too."

Then the bride walked in.

Soft music filled the hall as Chloe floated down the aisle in a gorgeous white dress. Sean thought that Julian was going to erupt into tears at any moment. He gave his friend a supportive pat on the back, but Julian was completely transfixed by his bride.

The ceremony was simple yet beautiful, just like Chloe and Julian's relationship had always been. No dramatic flairs, just the pure love of two individuals who were always destined to be together.

Kaycee couldn't help steal glances at Sean every now and then, pleased to find that he was always looking at her first. His eyes were pensive, thoughtful. He was radiant in every way.

They breezed through the ceremonies of the reception, with Chloe being clear that she wanted it to be fun and painless for everyone. She just wanted to dance already. Soon, the party was in full swing. Drinks were overflowing, and moving bodies filled the dance floor.

Feet sore from walking in heels all day, Kaycee occupied a table with Bailey and Tahani. Officially done with their wedding entourage duties, they put their feet up and ordered a bottle of wine.

"Don't look now, but someone's trying to get with your man." Tahani whispered to Kaycee over her glass. With zero subtlety, the three ladies whipped around to spy.

Sure enough, there was a leggy brunette, flanked by two friends, chatting with Sean and Josh. It all seemed innocent and friendly, with both guys standing a respectable distance from the women, but Ms. Leggy Brunette kept finding reasons to touch Sean. A lingering caress on the arm, a hand on his shoulder, a playful poke on his chest.

Kaycee saw the polite confusion cross Sean's face when she went to brush some imaginary lint off his coat.

"He can handle himself. He's a big boy." She smirked, turning back around and taking a sip of her red wine.

"What is going on with you guys?" Bailey asked, turning around too. "We never talked about that time in Boston, but you guys were different after."

"Yeah. We couldn't really put a finger on it, but you guys were like...couple-y." Tahani chimed in.

Kaycee shrugged, taking another long swig of wine.

"Come. On. Kaycee." Bailey clapped at her. "It has been 6 years. Even longer because that boy has been in love with you since he was 15 years old."

"I don't know what you want me to say!" Kaycee played innocent, hiding her smile behind the rim of her glass.

"You have been playing this 'are they? arent they?' game for too long. You say he's not your boyfriend, but you act like a couple most of the time. You practically live in his apartment. He drives your car. I mean, you're more married that Julian and Chloe, and they literally just got married!" Tahani exclaimed, pointing at the newlyweds on the dance floor.

Training her eyes on the bride and groom, Kaycee motioned to zip her mouth, indicating she had nothing more to say on the matter. With an exasperated sigh, thankfully, her friends finally dropped the subject.