Chapter 5: Dangerous Waters

Chapter Five:

Treading in Dangerous Waters

Caroline was known for driving to relieve stress and so it was no surprise to her when her drive home had taken well over an hour. The phone receiver was blinking when she got home so she dropped Bella's car keys onto the kitchen table and played them back.

"You have three new messages," the machine announced. "First new message from Emily Uley at 10:15 PM:

"Hi Caroline!" Emily's voice came through the speaker. "I was just checking in to make sure you made it home safe, you left kind of quickly back there. Please give me a call, we love you.

"Next message from Emily Uley at 10:47 PM:

"Hi Caroline, it's me again. I'm sure you just got home and went straight to bed, I'm just worried about you. Call me when you get up! Love you."

Caroline sighed. She wouldn't put it past Emily to drive all the way out here if she didn't call back tonight. She was always a mini-mother figure to everyone, but now that she was pregnant, she seemed to be even more so than before. Caroline pulled her hair in a quick bun and then reached for the receiver. She would likely be asleep - although, Caroline wouldn't put it past her for her to to stay up waiting by the fun - but she decided it was better to call her now so she didn't worry to much. Before she could grab it, the next message started.

"Next message from 564-423-9838 at 10:59 PM:

"Caroline Talltree?" A man's voice shook softly. "It's Ranger Daniels." He paused, breathing heavy. "I'm in Forks, I have information on your father. Meet me at the Athletics and Aquatics club soon. I don't know how long I can wait.

"End of message. To call back, press 1. To repeat this message, press 2. To delete this message, press 3. To hear these options again, press 4."

Caroline stared at the receiver. With shaking hands she played the message two more times before she quickly scribbled down the phone number. She grabbed her keys and started out the door, but paused. She looked up the staircase to listen for movement, then as quietly as she could, she deleted the message from the receiver.

Her hands were sweating as she made her way to the Athletics and Aquatics Center towards the outskirts of town. The streets were eerily empty and the way the lights reflected off of the wet pavement only added to lonely seeling. Caroline parked a few blocks down from the center. She wasn't exactly in an inconspicuous car and she didn't want to meet up with him in anything too recognizable. This was the same man who lied to her about the circumstances around her father's death, she didn't necessarily trust him, but he was her only lead.

She walked briskly towards the center, her footsteps echoing down every alley she passed. She could see her breath as she walked and she wrapped her arms around herself, wishing she had grabbed a jacket before she left.

"Miss Talltree?"

Caroline jumped and whirled to face the alleyway a block away from the Aquatics Center. "Ranger Daniels?" The Park Ranger motioned for her to come closer. She looked around and elected to ignore the small voice in the back of her head that said no one can see you if you go in there, bad idea, go home, it isn't safe.

She clenched her fists and stepped just within the alleyway before freezing. The ranger in front of her was incredibly disheveled, his clothes were muddied and his face was pained but he otherwise looked good - attractive, even - from what she could see in the shadows. Then she noticed the dried blood covering the front of his shirt. "Oh my god," she rushed forward to try to help him but he stepped back, holding at a manila envelope for her to grab, effectively keeping her away from him. He scrunched his nose and hissed when she got close enough to grab the envelope. "Daniels," she said softly, grabbing the envelope from him, "are you okay?"