Chapter Two: Going, Going, Gone

"What do we got?"
"Alex Karev. 26 year old male. Unconscious at scene. Massive head lack and many broken ribs."
"Take him to Trauma Room 1."
"Lexie Grey. 25 year old female. Conscious but can't move. May be paralyzed from neck down."
"Trauma Room 4"
"Cristina Yang. 27 year old female. Unconscious. Massive splenic wombs and skull fracture."
"Go to Trauma Room 2"
"Mark Sloan. 32 year old male. Conscious. Minor injuries. Broken left leg and left arm."
"Derek Shepherd. 33 year old male. Unconscious. Head fracture and broken ribs."
"Trauma Room 5"
"Meredith Grey. Conscious. Broken jaw and right shoulder."

———————————

"Dr. Hunt, Robbins needs you in OR 3 stat"
"Ok, tell her I'll be right over."
*Hunt's phone rings*
"Chief Hunt. Looking forward to flying your surgeons back but they seem to be running very late. Have you heard anything from them? Complications?"
"I will call them right away."
*Hangs up phone and calls Cristina*
*Goes straight to voicemail*
"Hey Cristina, it's Owen. Just wanted to check in. Heard you guys are running late. Everything ok?"

———————————
Trauma Room 1:
"Hey, we got you Alex. You're going to be just fine. Can you follow the light please?"
No response.
"I'm-I'm a"
"Hey, don't try to talk. Ok? Just stay with us. Can you squeeze my fingers for me?"
No response.
"Order a head CT stat."

Trauma Room 4:
"Hi Lexie. Everything is ok. We are here. Can you hear me?"
*Lexie nods*
"Ok. Great. Follow this light with you're eyes."
*Responds*
"Perfect. Can you squeeze my fingers?"
*No response*
"That's ok. We are going to help you and figure this out, ok?"
*She nods again*

Trauma Room 2:
"Yang. Cristina Yang. Hang in there, you're doing great. Can I get more lap pads in here stat."
"Sir, bp is dropping."

Trauma Room 5:
"Derek Shepherd. You're ok. We are going to examine you and get you better. Can you squeeze my fingers?"
"My-my head" he whispers.
"What sir?"
"My..."
*Derek crashes*

—————————

"Huge van crash near the Los Angeles airport. 6 surgeons, all alive but massive injuries." the news reporter said from the tv in the Grey Sloan trauma room.
"Page the chief. NOW" Bailey yelled.
"Yes, ma'am." Wilson said.
Hunt came running down the hallway.
"What do we got?" He said.
*Bailey points to tv*
"Oh my god. That's-that's them. We need to go. now. Page Robbins, Sloan, wait no, not Sloan. Just page all the attendings."
"Sir, it's only us, Webber, and Robbins."
"Well then page them!!!"
*Hunt looks around*
"Wilson, you're coming with us."
"Wait what?!"
"Come on!!"
The three of them jumped in the helicopter and waited for Robbins and Webber.
"What's happening?!" Robbins yelled.
"Just get in and we will tell you. We are going to LA"
"Ok?"
The two of them jumped in.
"The 6 surgeons that were heading to LA got in a car crash. It doesn't look good."
"Oh my god." Arizona started to cry.
"Well what the hell are we waiting for? Lets go!" Webber said.
——————————
"My husband. Where's my husband?" Meredith struggles to open her mouth.
"Meredith, try not to move your mouth.  You're husband has a massive brain bleed. He is in surgery now."
She started to cry.
"Alex is also in surgery, he had many broken ribs and a head lack. Cristina is almost out of surgery. Her recovery is going to be rough. Lexie is in Room 64a. She is doing well. No paralysis but she will be needing a nerve transplant."
Meredith was in tears.
"Oh and Mark." The doctor pointed over to the other side of the room.
"Hey. I'm here." Mark said with a smile.
"I just have a broken arm and leg. Nothing major. I'll be here with you through this whole thing."
Meredith nodded with the best smile she could give.
"Do you have any further questions?"
"We're ok. Thank you." Mark said.
The doctor left the room.
———————————
"Hi. I'm Dr. Hunt. The chief at Grey Sloan. My surgeons were in a car crash. Can you lead me to one of their rooms?"
"Yes. It looks like Alex and Derek are in surgery. Cristina just got out. I'll lead you to Meredith. Follow me please." the nurse said.
"Thank you."
"Wilson, stay outside the room with Robbins until she can control herself."
"Ok."
Hunt and Webber walked into the room.
"Hey. Meredith. Oh and Mark. How are you guys?"
"Just some broken bones for me" Mark said. "Oh and Meredith has a broken jaw and dislocated shoulder."
"Ok. Wait. What about Lexie. Where is she?"
"She is in her room but she will be needed surgery."
Two surgeons walked into the room.
"Your friend, Alex, is out of surgery. Everything went well. He will be needed lots of therapy and 24 hour observation for awhile."
"Ok. Thank you sir." Hunt said.

"Hey. Robbins, it's ok. Everyone is going to be fine." "I know. I know that. It's just. It's weird when you're the ones crying in the waiting room or waiting to hear if your friend/family member made it through surgery. Usually I'm the one notifying the person. It's just weird."
The rest of the night was silent. Mark slept in Meredith's room on a chair. Hunt stayed with Lexie. Webber was with Yang. Robbins and Wilson stayed with Karev.
It was 2 in the morning when Meredith woke up with a sharp pain in her lower jaw. She started banging her hand on the bed.
"Hey. Hey Meredith. What's wrong?!"
She pointed to her jaw.
"Ok. It's ok. I'm going to get a nurse."
Mark ran outside and screamed for help.
"What's the matter sir?"
"My friend, Meredith, she- just come here."
They ran back into the room. Meredith was still in pain.
"Hey. Meredith. You're ok. We got you."
They injected a pain killer and she slowly calmed down.
"What was that all about?" Mark asked the nurse as they walked outside.
"She will be experiencing those a lot. We can't do anything to prevent it. I'm sorry."
"Wait. You're a nurse. You guys are doctors. You're supposed to be helping her?!" Mark screamed.
"I'm sorry. We are doing everything we can. Her husband is out of surgery now. Would she like to see him?"
"Yes. Of course." he said.
"Hey Meredith. Derek is out of surgery. Do you want to see him?"
She nodded.