Awe.. the bonds of matrimony! Life Lesson 1

This life lesson has been hard on this old gal! I grew up speaking what was on my mind. My daddy told us we would have to pay for it in the end anyway so why not. (Pro. 13:3) Whether good or bad, it flew out of my mouth like a rocket going to orbit!

Over the years, of course, I learned that somethings hurt people's feelings and that wasnt nice! It was down right rude! Learning to keep my mouth shut or only say something nice has been alot of trial and error. From being told by someone I only see socially that i was a very nice person, to my daughter laughing at me and saying, "MOM, you're such a bit*h!". I wore both titles proudly.

On with it....

My husband and I have not always been so loving. I was an emotional wreck, devastated by losing the only man that, I thought, could ever handle me to a car accident(see Background - My Dude) (1) and then wondering how I could keep 4 teens from killing each other and themselves from grieving. My husband, at the time, married me because he had loved me for years. (2) But in my eyes, he was my only friend in the world. I told everyone it was a marriage based on friendship. And that doesn't always work.

I spoke my point. He spoke his. We didn't care if we hurt the other's feelings or not. (Prov. 3:30) We eventually separated for about a year. Made amenz of it and separated again for 4 years. We did not speak. Even if we were in the same church, worshiping the same God, we didn't even make eye contact!

My uncle had passed away and i knew my estranged husband loved him and vice versa. So i sent him word to come to the funeral home. We spoke. We laughed. But we kept in contact. After about a year, I divorced him. I seen no signs that he truly wanted me. So i thought maybe i needed to move on.

Since i had known him my entire life, i kept in touch. We would meet at church and sit together. Then leave, going our separate ways for the week. One sunday night, we met at my nephew's church to hear him preach. After service, we went to speak to my nephew about his sermon. He had preached on dead ground and that covered me 100%.

I stood there telling my nephew about my pathetic life, mentioning that i just could not get released from my former husband. God kept putting us together and it was getting on my nerves! Then my former husband spoke. "I never wanted a divorce." Wait. WHAT!!!??? i was blown away. Things were flying around in my head! I thought, "what! you just wanted to keep the title! you just wanted to keep me from finding someone else! UGH!"

My nephew ever so gently began to explain the need we had for each other. and what advice he gave us next would turn my world upside down!

He told us to start speaking scripture over each other as a daily routine. Especially 1 Corinthians 13 - the love chapter! So we did.

Jim suffers long and is kind. Jim is full of love. Jim is not puffed up. Jim does not think evil. Jim is not full of envy. Jim rejoices in truth.

This is just a few. In about a month, he was courting me. just like some teenagers! Our love was beginning to grow and it showed! we begin looking for a home and we planned on being remarried. In both cases, we did just that! My nephew done the wedding and of course, it was on the 8th day, which the number 8 means "new beginning" in the Bible.

We still have our incidents where the old us shows up. But who dont! We promised to never leave each other again! and by the grace of God, we will never!

Reference: Proverbs 13:3 - He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life; but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.

Proverbs 3:30 - Strive not with a man without cause, if he have done thee no harm.

Proverbs 3:27 - Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.

Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Proverbs 15:1 - A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Proverbs 16:18 - Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 18:21 - Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Proverbs 21:23 - Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.