Chapter 32

"I'm quitting the shop," Godt declared after a short silence, his blank eyes calmly enduring Kimmon's furious glare.  

Godt's sudden announcement temporarily caught Kimmon off guard.  "What?" 

"Part of your job offer to me was that I could quit anytime that I wanted," Godt continued to say, his tone altogether neutral.  "I'm aware that it hasn't been six months yet.  But I don't need the extra bonus that you promised me if I worked for that long.  I'm instead choosing to quit right now."

Momentarily speechless, Kimmon silently stared at Godt before ultimately returning a curt nod.  "Fine.  I accept your decision."   

Kimmon subsequently heard Copter squeak out a surprised "P'!" from behind him.  But the senior stayed put, with his focus only on making sure that Copter was still entirely concealed from Godt's view.  

Although a flicker of pain showed in his eyes at the sound of Copter's voice, Godt kept his somber gaze on Kimmon, appearing to acknowledge what the senior was doing.  After giving a respectful wai to him, Godt promptly strode out of the kitchen.

"P'Godt!" Copter shouted, sounding very alarmed by the unforeseen turn of events.

Sensing Copter's attempt to leave his spot, Kimmon whipped around to face the junior.  Acting on instinct, he tightly latched his hands onto Copter's shoulders in order to prevent Copter from stepping away.  

Realizing that his movements were restrained, Copter faltered and shifted his attention to Kimmon.  A mix of bewilderment and anxiety surfaced on Copter's face.  Not breaking eye contact, Kimmon swallowed back an impulsive growl.    

"Where are you going?" Kimmon managed to ask, his voice barely above a whisper.  

"After P'Godt," Copter easily replied.  

"Why?"

"To persuade him not to leave."

Kimmon gritted his teeth.  "Don't.  It won't change his mind."

"But I still want to try," Copter affirmed, his voice laden with determination.  

They silently stared at each other for a lasting moment.  Until Kimmon unwillingly weakened his grip and lowered his hands down.  Taking a final glance at Kimmon, Copter instantly made his way past the senior and rushed out of the kitchen.  

After Godt.  

His heart crashing to the floor and breaking into a million pieces, Kimmon remained frozen in place.  He shut his eyes, feeling himself hopelessly drowning in the ferocious waves of brutal defeat that engulfed him over and over again.  

***

"P'Godt!"