13

jesse

seeing your best friend being taken over by a wave is one thing but finding them lifeless in the water is another. after being thrown into the air and landing straight on her back, i knew something was wrong. she didn't come up for air so i had to go find her.

"legacy!" i screamed out as i bolted towards the ocean. i threw my board onto the waves and paddled on top like i would with a rescue board. whippet and boo weren't far behind me as i tried paddling through the big waves.

"no!" i yelled as more waves kept pushing me back.

"we can't get to her!" whippet yelled at me. his voice was full of worry as well as mine.

"we have to! she hasn't come up for air" the jet ski was searching around for her and the people up on the cliffs were as well.

"i'll go call the cops" boo yelled before heading back towards the shore. i kept pushing myself through the waves but i didn't get far. i didn't even notice i was crying until i let out a sob.

"mate! over there to the left" whippet screamed behind me. i whipped my head toward the direction and saw something get pushed by the waves.

i started paddling as hard as i could towards it hoping that it was her. the body kept disappearing from my sight and with every wave it got harder see it. once i finally reached her i turned her over and gasped.

the prettiest, most kind hearted and caring girl laid lifeless in my arms. her face was turning blue and i broke down just looking at her. whippet noticed us and immediately started helping me bring her in.

we reached the beach and started doing cpr. i started on the cheats compressions as whippet held her head.

"the police are on their way and should be here in around 5 minutes" boo run up to us with shock written all over his face.

the tears pooled out of my eyes and i tried my hardest getting her back alive.

"she barely has a pulse" whippet said and his voice cracked at the end. soon enough, other surfers and tourists started forming a circle around us and some stepped in to help.

my arms started to feel sore but nothing could stop me from saving her. it all felt so unreal and i felt guilty. she was in this state because of me, i invited her to go surfing in the massive waves and she got hurt.

"the paramedics are here" kurt said as they trailed behind him. they put an oxygen mask over her face, set up the defibrillator and stabilized her more. she most probably suffered a spine or neck injury due to landing on her back. one of the paramedics knew i was getting tired so she started compressions and took over for me.

"oh my god..." i mumbled to myself while collapsing on the ground beside her. my eyes winced at the sound of her ribs cracking and her lifeless body being shook.

all of the sudden, water started coming up so they rolled her over and let it drain out.

"i can feel her pulse. it's more clear" said whippet as tears rolled down his cheeks. i bit my lip as relief slowly came over me. her eyes started to flutter and she began coughing up more water.

"she's back" said one of the paramedics as they rolled her over again. my hands moved to my mouth as i sobbed. boo came over and wrapped a his arm around my shoulder, comforting me.