One Year Later

My senior year was crazy as I prepared for college. In January I found out I was accepted into East Los Angeles College, and I had decided to study sign language until I knew where to transfer for my Master's degree in Sign language.

Leaving my home in Orange County was harder than I thought it would be, and as senior year drew to a close, so did my obsessions with bands. I still listened to music and to a few newer songs off of One D's album Four and 5sos' new album, but I was busier than ever before, and more mature. I didn't have the time or patience to obsess over boys that didn't even know I existed.

Over the course of my senior year I became best friends with a boy named Drew. I met him through my work. He was extremely tall, with a heavy build, and very protective. Like me, he was also attracted to men.

He also got accepted into ELAC, and we decided to get an apartment together in Los Angeles since dorming was so expensive.

"That was harder than I thought it would be," I say softly as we finally leave Orange County and head off to LA.

Drew nods, "Yeah, it's always hard saying goodbye. But now we have time to mature and become college kids and figure out what to do with our lives. It'll be fun once we meet new people!" He smiles at me, and I shrug.

"I'm just really going to miss my friends." I sigh. Thinking about my goodbyes makes me want to cry.

"Hey, look on the bright side," Drew says.

I hate when he says this, because he never tells me what the bright side actually is. I love his optimism, but sometimes it is hard for Drew to see why I'm so negative all the time. I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic, I just get really down sometimes and can be really quiet. Once Drew really got to know me, though, my craziness came out and he was very surprised that this shy girl from work was so loud! But Drew loves my craziness. Someone has to...

The ride to LA is long and hot in this August heat. After a while, we finally pull up to our new home.

Walking into the apartment, I say, "I like how small it is."

Drew laughs. "It's just like you!"

I growl and slump over to my room, carrying some boxes with me. At 18 years old, I get made fun of a lot for being 5'2. Mostly people think I'm actually 14, which sucks.

"I wish school started earlier. It would actually give me something to do. Now I have to wait until October for my future," I complain.

"Hey, you're the one who signed up for the later ASL program. You could've just started the early one in June!"

I roll my eyes. "Well it's too late now. I just wish I had something to do."

Drew's face brightens, which can only mean one thing: he has an idea.

"Here it comes," I groan.

"You should get a job!" Drew yells.

I groan louder. The last job I had was at Knott's Berry Farm, an amusement park, picking up trash.

"Think about it," Drew says. "My classes start next week, and you're hardly going to see me with my gym training and night classes. You're going to have to make money, and what better place than LA?"

My mouth opens to argue, but Drew's finger stops me. "No no no! Don't give me that look. You're going to find a job. Tomorrow."

He walks to his room to unpack, and that's when I know the conversation is over. Sometimes nodding your head and smiling is better than the effort a fight would be. Sometimes.

Oh well. Finding a job shouldn't be too hard in this busy city. I just hope I don't end up becoming a Barista at Starbucks. Actually, purposely spelling peoples' names wrong DOES sound pretty entertaining...