Not The Job I Was Expecting

After spending my Thursday afternoon walking from shop to shop in the busy city of LA, I was starting to get discouraged of me finding a job. For starters I didn't want to work in a busy boutique or coffee shop. I just really hate people.

Okay I don't hate people. I just hate being social...

Anyways, I was walking out of a shop when I got a call from my cousin Jamie.

"Hey Jamie!"

"Hey Jess! How's the job hunt going?" Jamie is 24. I never really see him much, ever since he became a producer for a few small rap artists. Since then, he produced a few songs for a few artists, his biggest artist being Lil Wayne. I actually hadn't heard from him in about a year, but ever since Jamie found out I was moving to LA for college, he made it his mission to get me "connections." Whatever that means.

"Not so good," I groan. "I hate working."

"I know you do. That's why I'm calling. The managers of this new band contacted me a few months ago. They want me to help produce a few music videos, they are asking a bunch of new producers to help them so they can get some ideas on which producer they like best."

I sigh. "Okay... What does that have to do with me? I'm studying sign language, not how to produce a music video for rappers."

He laughs. "Let me explain. I have a few meetings scheduled with the manager, the first meeting is on Monday in LA with the band. It's the only meeting I can do with the band until the music video, and it's extremely important for me to have an assistant there that understands what fans want to see in a music video. You're that assistant!"

Ugh. Boring. The only rapper I like is Eminem, and he's way too big for my cousin Jamie to produce for.

"Sorry, I don't know. I'm not exactly the target audience for rap music."

Jamie says,"Oh yeah! I should've mentioned the band first. I just don't want you to freak out. This has to be professional. It's 5 Seconds of Summer."

What?! Did he just say...? No way. It can't be.

I'm speechless. How did 5sos' contact my cousin?! Out of all the producers?

I can already hear Jamie laughing on the other end.

"Look, Jay, I wouldn't have told you if I didn't think you could do it. You can be professional about this, I know it. Plus you're the perfect target audience for this band. I mean, you're growing up with them. They're like, what, a year older than you? Trust me, I was shocked when I got the call. I guess my manager does a great job at putting my producing skills out there. So will you do it? You'll get paid, obviously."

"I mean, yeah! But-" I stammer.

"Great! I'll email you the information for the meeting on Monday. Don't forget!" Jamie hangs up abruptly, which is so Jamie of him. He takes his producing job very seriously.

I'm standing in the middle of the sidewalk on this busy LA street and people are walking by and my mouth is hanging open and my phone is still by my ear.

I mean, really it's not too shocking to me. Jamie is really good at what he does, and he works extremely hard. But there are so many other producers out there... I just can't wrap my head around it.

I can be professional. Right? I mean, I'll ask for pictures to put on Instagram to make all my other friends jealous.. Okay not to make them jealous per se, but I have to tell people that I met 5 Seconds of Summer.

Really it will just be like meeting a bunch of rowdy, rambunctious guys.

Why is my heart beating so fast at the thought of meeting them? Fans meet them all the time..

I just gotta get out of here and go home and take a nap and relax. Yeah.