Chapter-4 Some Suspects

Nancy and Bess rushed to needle and thread. They found Stella sitting and Christie making a bill for  a customer. As the customer went out, Stella asked Christie how had it happened and all. She was very angry, but trying to control it. Christie went up to Bess and Nancy and whispered “she is continuously asking me the same thing as any customer comes in she shuts up.” Nancy giggled but became serious quickly. Christie spoke loudly “How I wish you solve this mystery quick. Nancy said “I will, I surely will.” Nancy told it with a reassuring smile. In a while a man entered the shop and started working. Nancy had never seen this man and never even heard about him. His badge read Larry O’ Keefe. Nancy asked Bess “whose he?” Bess looked at the man Nancy was asking about and replied “he is Stella’s nephew. He works here, a part time job. Just for deliveries.” Nancy nooded her head and briskly walked towards him. He was tall, had thick brown hair and brown eyes. He looked quite friendly and handsome to Nancy, but she knew while solving mystery the most innocent person can be the culprit. Nancy went up to him and started the conversation by asking about the prices of materials. Nancy shook hands. He smiled showing off his dimples. She was about to introduced herself, when he asked “Are you Nancy Drew?”

Nancy was surprised and asked “Yes. But how do you know?”

Larry laughed and said “Bess talks about you all day. The way you look, the mysteries you solve and all. But I must say you do look like a detective which can find a culprit.”

Nancy went red with embarrassment and thanked him for the compliment. Nancy thought that if he was the thief he would not laugh and talk so openly with her, he would be nervous, but still Nancy thought she couldn’t trust anyone. While thinking to herself Nancy’s cell phone beeped. It was George’s message. It read

Sorry need to go to Russia for urgent work…Can’t help you in the case…L

Nancy replied

Oh! It’s okay. Bess is there here to help me. We will miss you! L Bye! Have a happy journey! J

Nancy told Bess “George went out of town. She will not be here to solve the mystery.” Bess let out a sigh. She was depending on George for some help. Nancy thought of asking more questions to Stella. Then she realized that she had not enquired about the security system. Nancy went up to Stella and asked her “Stella do you have a security system for your shop?” Stella who had become much friendlier to Nancy told “Of course I have one. There is a lock but if anyone tries to break in the radar would go and take a snap of the person.” Nancy studied the glass case in which the clothes were kept.  She then looked at Stella and asked her to get the radar camera for it would have clicked pictures. Stella brought the camera to Nancy. Nancy saw that there were no pictures, no sign of someone breaking in. Nancy frowned and looked at the glass case and saw there was a numerical code to be fitted. She thought to herself ‘maybe someone who knew the code did it.’ She turned to Stella and asked her about the code she even asked her who all knew the code. Stella told Nancy “Nancy actually only one person knows it except me. That is Christie.” Nancy thought out aloud “that does not make sense at all.” Stella thought hard for a while and told “maybe my nephew know it but he would never do such a thing his life.” Nancy knew it there was no one else who knew the code beside Larry so she decided to write down Larry’s name in the suspect list. She felt a hitch so she asked Stella “but why do they know the code?” Stella explained to Nancy that the clothes were to be dusted once in a while and the case was opened. Nancy asked Stella “When were the clothes cleaned and dusted lately?” Stella said “uh… maybe a few days back. Uh… yes three days before the attack. Nancy thought that anyone could see Stella or Christie put the code. She thought for a while and came to the conclusion that anyone could do that for money. Someone that Nancy doesn’t even know.  Still for a safe side she wrote down Larry O’ Keefe in the suspect list. She even thought to write down Christie’s name but then thought it was funny. She closed her suspect book and thanked Stella for the help. She took Bess by the arm and they both went into Nancy’s black Mustang. Nancy knew there was a lot more investigation to do. She dropped Bess at the place and promised to meet her at Burger king for dinner and talk some more about the mystery.