second chance

Draco watched as Harry's potion turned a bubbling green. The other boy threw in a stalk of some orange plant desperately, that Draco couldn't recognize and he was sure wasn't supposed to be in that potion.

That was the last straw for Draco. He got up, ignoring Crabbe's protests, and stalked over to Harry's table. The black - haired boy jumped and spun around when Draco cleared his throat.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Harry sighed. For the first time, Draco noticed bags underneath his normally bright emerald eyes.

"I'm getting tired of watching you mess up this potion." Draco crossed his arms. "Move over, I could make this potion in my sleep." That was about as civil as Draco could be towards Potter, but he thought he was doing quite well so far. Better to ease Potter into it anyways, not start being nice to him all at once. He would probably drop dead in shock.

Potter stumbled to the side and Draco started fixing the mess that Potter had made of his potion. He chopped, stirred, and mixed rapidly. Thankfully, the rest of the class was too busy with their own potions to bother wondering why Malfoy and Potter were working together.

"Here." Draco held out a bottle full of sparkling purple liquid stiffly. "You pour, I stir."

"What-" Potter seemed to be at a loss for words. "What about Crabbe?"

Draco's tag-along was staring dumbly at the potion, which had sat for much too long and was now growing what looked like tentacles.

"He'll survive," Draco waved his hand dismissively. "You, however, would not without my help. I saw Weasley and Granger have decided to work together, leaving you alone. So," He shrugged, "I decided to help out of the kindness of my heart. Now. If you don't pour it soon, the entire potion will curdle, and all my hard work will go to waste."

"O- okay." Potter tipped the bottle much too fast, and Draco had to clasp his hand over the other boy's.

"Like this." Draco's voice was softer as he steadied Potter's hand. It was warm, and Draco, despite himself, let his hand linger for a moment longer than he should have. Just because of the warmth, Draco told himself sharply. Nothing else.

Draco had barely finished when Snape called the students to the front of the class to give him their potions. All of the students seemed to snap out of their stupor, amd Harry and Draco got quite a few stares from the other students.

Especially Weasley and Granger.

They weren't even trying to hide their disbelief as they stared at Draco. It seemed like the entire class's eyes were on him as he carried Harry and his potion up to Snape. Snape stared down his hooked nose at him, before deciding it wasn't worth the effort and snatching their potion.

After gathering his things, he strode over to Potter, who was still scrambling to gather his things, a slightly frantic look in his eyes. Weasley and Granger were waiting by the door, not quite within earshot.

"Good job today." Draco winced at the clearly awkward conversation starter.

"Thank you?" Potter looked more confused than ever. He had finished gathering his books and stood with them in his arms, looking up at Draco like Draco had three heads.

"Look," Draco grabbed Potter's arm and pulled him to the side, "I just wanted to apologize."

"What?" Potter was fully bewildered now.

"In my first year, when I said I wanted to become friends, I really meant it." It was a painful truth. Draco had desperately wanted to become friends with Harry Potter, so much that he had messed it up spectacularly. "Of course I messed it up, but seeing you in danger reminded me that life is short, right?"

Potter nodded. Draco had no idea where he was pulling this acting skill from, but he was quite impressed with himself. He supposed the best lies were always imbedded with truth.

Or maybe the best lies aren't lies at all-

Draco cut that thought off before it could grow.

"I'd like a second chance." Draco stuck his hand out.

Potter hesitated, and Draco's heart skipped a beat. Who knew what Pansy had in store for him.

But then Harry grasped his hand and shook. "Okay. I guess?"

"Don't expect for me to go all sappy on you again, Potter." Draco withdrew his hand quickly, and Potter laughed.

He actually laughed. It was short, and Harry seemed just as surprised as Draco, but it was a laugh.

Draco was oddly happy as he walked out of the potions room, and he couldn't quite explain why.