You Can't Run Away

The final day before Antarctic. Kingpin sat in his cell, repeating the five words over and over. His orange jumpsuit blinded him, and he was disgusted every time he saw himself in it. Wilson much preferred his suit, but for now, he looked like a common prisoner.

The grey concrete wall to the left of him stared back. Lucky enough to look out over the ocean, it's bricks had seen many failed escape attempts. The scrapes and dents in the thick cement had done nothing, except add some haunting thoughts to prisoners who saw them.

"Wilson Fisk?" A grainy voice asked. Fisk looked for the source, and was met with a stout, little man. His thick palms groped the bars. "Good God, what put you in here?"

Fisk recognised the face instantly. The mule resembling eyes, his amber teeth.
His name was Angus Fitzberg, and he deserved it. A rage in Fisk's eyes glowered when he saw him. The man who promised him that he would save Fisk, but plunged him deeper. Fisk responded with nothing but a snarl.

"A shame about what happened to your sister. Genetic illnesses, truly the curse of humanity." He gave a smile that betrayed Fisk. "Sorry about your spine, I really thought it would work. However, from what I hear, our little alternative is working just fine."

Angus' bulging eyes fell to his titan figure. He grinned at his work. Fisk did not respond. He hated that he had to ask for help in the first place.

"Cells! Now!"

"If you're lucky, I won't tell the guards what you're planning." He pushed his face up against the bars. "As long as you let me in on it."

Fisk glared at him, before slowly answering. "They'll be here in five minutes."

"Great." He plodded off, satisfied with himself. The footsteps slowly died out.

Fisk lent back, hands covering his ashamed face. He mumbled to himself.
"Jessica, what have I become."
He could feel his sister's doe eyes looking on him from above. Another day without Antarctic and he might end up with her.
But the promise he made flashed in his head. That he would live on, no matter how crippled his spine became.

In hindsight, it was an empty promise. Stupidity got the best of him, and he made a stupid decision. Now, here he sat on a hard bed which almost split under his deformed body. He sank further in to the bed, the creak groaning deeper.

Until he heard yells and shouts from the bottom cells. Then, deafening alarms screamed out. Fisk flew to the front of his cell, gripping the bars. The sight downstairs was chaos.

Thousands of Fisk's men flooded the bottom floor. He smirked.
"Up here, boys!"
Time to get back to work.

—————————————————————

"M.J?" Y/N busted down the door, "M.J? Are you in here?" Tripping over herself, she skidded to a stop in the sterile room. The clean, white walls almost blinded her.

"Over here!" A meek voice called.

Searching the room, Y/N's eyes shot to the pale figure in the back of the hospital room. Rushing to M.J's bed, Y/N crashed in to the chair beside her. Her frenzied eyes dashed from M.J to the needles in her arm. "Oh my god, M.J - why do you need those?"

Lightly lifting her wrist, she explained in a raspy voice. "It's nothing - Listen, we need to talk."
Y/N's head tilted. "Go ahead."
"I'm gonna get straight to the point. Antarctic - not what we thought."
"What do you mean?"

"I was doing research on Fisk, when these videos popped up. It all happened so fast, and I don't like to talk about it so I'll make this quick." She ushered out her discomfort and took a deep breath.
"He uses this drug to... amplify the normal human."

M.J must've seen Y/N's puzzled look, as she reiterated. "You know Captain America? How they made him the ultimate human?" Y/N nodded, her education system for once helping her.

"He is trying to replicate that, but it's dangerous. Extremely dangerous. From the looks of it, it drives the infected mad, causing them to try to rip out their own skin."

"Then?" Y/N interrupted.

"I'm getting there! Their skin, it was like... rocks. As well as they grew twice their size."

"Fisk was behind all of that? Do you know why?"

M.J nodded shyly, explaining further.
"Like I said, I think he wants to replicate the Captain America serum. Or, as he put it - revolutionise humanity. He must also take Antarctic himself, judging by the size of him."

Y/N remembered his broad shoulders, bulging arms and brute strength. M.J was probably right.

"What do you think I should do?" Y/N grit her teeth, not liking that she had to ask for help.
M.J's eyes grew with sadness, and a coiled strand of her hair fell in to her hand. Twisting it around her fingers nervously, her hands abruptly stopped. Looking up, a confidence gleamed in her eyes.
"Do something."

Y/N's eyes snapped up in confusion, and M.J decided to continue. "I just- don't get all sappy on me, but the things in those videos - you have to stop him from doing that to other people." She looked away, the familiar strength Y/N was familiar with returning to M.J's features.

Leaning forward, Y/N pressed her palm against her chin. Her eyes linked with M.J's, her deeply brown eyes seemed to reach in to Y/N's head. "We could lose everything." M.J said, her voice barely above a whisper.

When Y/N did not answer, M.J knew her point had been made. A strength overcame Y/N, the dread almost driving her. Leaning back in to her scratchy pillow, M.J shook her head.
"You can't run away from this one."

Rubbing her face, Y/N got up, and gave M.J a hug, her arms wrapping around her frail frame. M.J sniffled, and Y/N laughed, but said sombrely.
"If I don't make it back from this one-"
"I know, I know." For nostalgia's sake, she repeated her words.
"Go save the world, Y/N."