¤2¤

I sat quietly at the table as they conversed. I caught Danneel's eye every now and then but I refused to hold eye contact. I honestly had no desire to know this girl but I also can't say I'm not curious.
I wonder what Jared said to make her so interested in me. No way he told her the truth. That I was some fucked up guy with a sob story.
Jared nudged me.
"Huh?" I blinked.
"You haven't touched your food." He whispered.
I looked down at the plate and sighed. I picked up my fork and stabbed the mac and cheese.
Damn. This is good.
"So." Misha spoke. "How's work Jensen?"
"I'm gonna quit soon as I find a better job." I mumbled.
"Oh, where do you work?" The girl asked. Um. Danneel? Her.
"I'm a mechanic."
"Tough work?"
I sighed, putting my fork down. "Excuse me." I stood and left the table.
I could hear them mumbling, most likely about me but I didn't care. I'm not sure why but I'm just so damn angry.
Not too long after Genevieve walked through my door and closed it behind her. "What is it Jensen?"
I shook my head. "Nothing, Gen. Go back to dinner."
"Like hell I will. What's the attitude for?"
I rolled my eyes. "Y'all thought that setting me up would somehow make me forget? Make me different? I'm not changing Gen!"
"Don't yell at me." She narrowed her eyes. "Me and Jared are just trying to help. You've been so miserable for so long and we just want to help."
"I don't need help, Genevieve. In fact, I don't want it." I unconsciously sized up to her. "I'm fine being the way I am."
"You're a liar."
"No, you're just blind to the fact that maybe I like the way I am. Maybe I like being alone."
She shook her head. "Do you? Do you like the way you are? Do you like being alone?"
No. Of course not.
"Yes."
"Jensen, honey. Talk to the girl. She's really similar to the way you are. Even if it's not romantic, it could be such a good friendship." She gently touched my shoulder. "And don't be mad at Jared. He loves you and he's just so worried. He's just so scared and he wants you to be happy."
I accepted her open arms. Her and Jared are the only family I've ever had. "I'm sorry, Genevieve.. I'll try, okay?"
"Only if you're comfortable."
I let her go and nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine with it. Come on. We should go finish dinner."
She nodded.
"Besides. She's hot."
We laughed.
~🐾~
Dinner went by smoothly after that. Nobody brought it up, but I'm sure they heard the argument between me and Gen.
Misha and Alexander left early saying something about meetings. Then went Gen and Jared off to his room to do god knows what.
That left me and Danneel awkwardly sitting on the couch watching whatever was on TV. She wasn't very shy, however. I kind of wished she was.
"So. What were you and Gen yelling about?"
There it is.
"You're nosy."
She scoffed. "Me? Nosy? We all heard you, buddy."
"Ear hustling." I mumbled.
"Yeah yeah." She smiled at me. "You're mysterious."
"Am I?" I shifted uncomfortably, reaching for my glass.
She nodded, adjusting herself to sit criss-cross to face me. "What your deal, Ackles?"
I raised my eyebrows at that. "Damn, you really are nosy."
"Blunt."
We locked eyes. She was definitely not going to back down. But that doesn't mean I'm going to tell her. She doesn't need to know anything about me. She doesnt need to know anything about my life.
But damn her. Her soft doe eyes seemed to reel me in. I felt like I wanted to tell her. Like she would understand what happened. Like she could distract me from all the demons swirling around in my head.
She gave a soft smile as if to let me know that I can trust her. And part of me almost did. But trust is what got me into this deep messed up hole.
"No deal here. What about you, Harris?"
Her smile fell and she rolled her eyes. "One day I'll crack you."
I reached for my glass again.
"Let's start slower then. Tell me the basics, yeah? Like how old you are or maybe a middle name?"
"I'm twenty-four." I shrugged.
"Twenty-three."
Not much younger than me. Not that it matters. I will not pursue any kind of relationship with this girl. She doesn't deserve to be bombarded with all my baggage. She's sweet.
I stood up. "I'm getting a refill. Want anything?"
"Just a water."
The walk to the kitchen almost seemed forced. My legs moved slow and my chest was pounding. Why am I so nervous?
I placed the glass on the table and did a few warm up jumps to get myself together. Another whiskey on ice for me and a water for the girl.
Damn Jared. And Damn Gen. This would've been so much easier if they'd picked someone even a little ugly. Danneel could be a model if she wanted. Such a petite girl with a stunning face. And the hair... good lord. She's beautiful.
She laid back comfortably, hair flowing down her shoulders as she watched the TV. I smiled to myself.
"Here's your water." I said, handing it out awkwardly.
I sat down beside her and relaxed into the couch. "Ross."
"Huh?"
"My middle name. Jensen Ross Ackles." I cleared my throat.
"Danneel is actually my middle name. My first is Elta." She shrugged. "But call me Danneel. I prefer it."
I smiled. "Danneel."
She turned back to me, again sitting criss-cross. "Do you shoot for the same team or am I just not your type?"
"What?"
"Most guys would've tried something by now. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious."
I shrugged. "I'm not gay, if that's what you're asking.
"Why haven't you tried anything?"
"I have respect." I chuckled.
In reality, I just didn't want to give her the wrong idea. I can't be with her.
"A true gentleman." She beamed.
A sudden noise came from Jared's room, making Danneel instantly blush. "No they aren't.."
"Oh the definatley are." I laughed.
She groaned, hiding her face. "I thought it was bad at our place! These walls are too thin."
"Tell me about it." I rolled my eyes. "At least they're trying to be quiet."
"This is quiet? I hope to never hear it loud."
I turned the TV up. This is going to be a long night.