chapter 5: chicken & waffles

july 8th, 2007
"Man, am I tired of killing family!"

I sat in the chair next to my uncle's desk as he talked to his men. My bottom lip tucked in as I sobbed quietly avoiding his eye contact. I kept my focus on my worn Converse as his laughter filled the entire room.

"She was getting on my last nerve!" He sneered as he placed a hand on my shoulder, "At least I'll get to have you, Heather. Someone so sweet, so precious."

Letting out small cries, I felt his hand go over my kinky curls. I shifted in my seat as he played with my polo shirt.

He leaned down and planted a kiss on my cheek, "Yuh wa fi be treat like a gud gyal?"

Tears slipped away from my eyes as I blinked rapidly, "Yes."

Watching his men leave the room, fear pumped through my veins. I didn't want them to leave because I didn't want to be alone with this man. Licking my dry lips, I was about to call for them, but I got punched in the face by my uncle.

"Nuh call fi nobody but mi." He unbuckled in jeans.

"Uncle wait!"

july 7th, 2017
I rushed to sit up and went to puke in the trash can.

"Are you okay?"

I scurried from under my covers and stood up. Almost tripping over and clenching my chest, it felt like I was burning on the inside.

My eyes closed whilst controlling myself, "What are you doing here?"

"Just came to check up on you."

"I-I, c-can- please leave!" I shouted at him as I walked to my bathroom.

I slammed the door closed as I continued to retch in my sink. Veins were pumping as my head was throbbing. I looked at my hands to see them shaking and my eyes were blood shot. The skin of my palms ran over the skin of my face.

Wrapping my bruised arm with the rubber band, I inserted the syringe. I took the needle out and threw it away. Sighing, I sat on top of the toilet with relief. I knew that I had to stop stressing and definitely stop drinking. I pressed my hand on my forehead  as it kept pulsating.

I stood up to brush my teeth and cleanse my face before walking out. He sat on my bed gazing at my lava lamp.

"This is nice. Where'd you get it from?"

I let out a deep breath as my hands formed into fists, "What are you doing here?"

"I brought you back here safe and sound." He chuckled, "Is that anyway to say thank you?"

"You? Where is Yari?"

"I'm assuming you're talking about that tall girl you was with last night, yeah?" Eun-jae placed my lamp down on my nightstand, "I reassured her that I would get you home safely. It took a lot of persuading on my part."

"Okay, thanks, but why are you here?"

Fluttering filled the pit of my stomach as his pink lips formed into a smile. His eyes wandered my body as it was covered in one of my pajama gowns.

"Want some breakfast? I ordered some." He sauntered out of my bedroom and into the hall.

I scoffed as I followed him, "Can you at least take off your boots?"

"You got any slippers?" He questioned as he waltzed into the kitchen and looked into a brown paper bag.

"Well, no-"