close to me ☁️ red velvet joy

☁️ close to me (red velvet remix) - ellie goulding, diplo, red velvet

you sigh as you stare into the mirror. you were dressed in your nicest clothes, but that wasn't much. you'd tried your best to make a thin, long sleeved blouse and a plain black skirt look nice by wearing long, gold earrings and your only pair of heels. you haphazardly spray yourself with some perfume and leave the bathroom. no one else is home so you silently grab your purse off the kitchen counter and slip out of the house. honestly you have no idea what you're doing. this is too fancy of a party for you and your $15 target blouse. you should know better than to go to your super rich classmate's birthday party. you probably won't even know anyone there. god, what ARE you doing, y/n? you think to yourself as you get into the cab. if this had been anyone else's party, you would still be at home in your basketball shorts. but it wasn't just anyone's party, it was hers. park sooyoung.

you were infatuated with her since the first day of class. she had brownish orange hair the first time you saw her, and her makeup made her look unreal. she'd dyed it back to black a few months ago and somehow managed to glow even more. you didn't talk much in the beginning, being shy and a year younger than her. you didn't talk at all actually, until you ended up at the same table group. even then it was usually pretty quiet between you two. you didn't even realize she knew you until you and your friends ran into her at a movie theater. she was alone and asked if she could join you, seeing your large group. but like always, she disappeared right after the movie. even when you thought you were starting to become friends, the air between you would grow awkward and uncomfortable during class. you didn't even have her phone number, and yet you agreed to come to her birthday party. you know you're going to stick out. you know her friends are on a whole different level than you. but you were still going, because it was her.

"miss? we're here." the cab driver pulls you out of your thoughts.

"oh? thank you." you pay and step out of the car in front of a apartment building that looks awfully similar to a hotel. oh god. you step into the building, its just as glamorous inside as it is outside. you don't know where to look, there's people walking around in dresses that look more expensive than your house, there's crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and giant bouquets sit on nearly every table in the lobby. you have no idea where to go, and stand frozen, regretting not having sooyoung's number. suddenly an arm wraps around yours and you see another one of your classmates standing beside you.

"y/n! i didn't know you'd be here!" seulgi smiles at you. her face is bright and elegant at the same time and you think you're really going to just have a stroke here on her arm.

"y-yeah, neither did i. thank god you're here i have no idea where to go." you kind of cling on to seulgi like she's your adult chaperone, which she kind of was, being three years older than you. she giggles and assures you that it's going to be fine, while leading you to the elevator. she tells you about her hectic day getting ready and you notice that her velvet looks alarmingly expensive and her diamond jewelry is blinding. you grow extremely conscious of your own clothes. the elevator door rings open on the 17th floor and you inhale deeply, adjusting your blouse. the apartment isn't an apartment, its a penthouse. you're overwhelmed by the amount of people filling up the house. you feel seulgi slip away from your side and your crushed with the realization that you don't think you can handle this. you turn to leave, knowing well this isn't your scene, when someone calls your name. she calls your name. you turn.

"you made it!" sooyoung approaches you with open arms. she's cut her hair to her neck. it looks cute. it shows off her shoulders really well.

"yeah!" you say, smiling shyly, hugging her. she pulls away, but keeps you in arms length.

"you look so pretty today!" her eyes linger on your face. "you're not wearing any makeup, though." she frowns. you don't really know how to do makeup so you don't usually bother, but you follow her as she leads you away from the party by the hand, talking to herself about how she has just the thing for you. you watch her hair bounce as she pulls you into a bedroom and guide you to a chair beside a bed. she disappears and comes back with a box of various makeup, which you know of, but have no idea how to use. luckily, she seems determined to do it herself. she gets to work and you watch her eyeshadow glitter as she moves. you both stay quiet as she did your eyes. she's less than two inches away from you and suddenly you're filled with this dreaded feeling. what are you doing here? why is she doing your makeup at her own party? its too quiet. you feel her pull away and your eyes flutter open.

"sorry." you say.

"for what?" sooyoung looks up from the cosmetics sprawled across her lap. her eyes could trap you forever.

"for making you do this in the middle of your own party." she grins at your response. her eyes wrinkle and her teeth shine in the dim light. you're not used to this side of her. the goddess of a girl you'd been so mesmerized by was sitting in front of you, knees touching, and giggling. you don't know what to do but smile. you never noticed her cheeks, or how cute she was when she laughed.

"that's so cute that you're worried, but it's okay. this party won't be over anytime soon." you can't say anything back immediately, since she starts to put lipstick on you. it gets awfully quiet again, but for some reason you're not as anxious anymore. when she's finished, she smiles at you, and dumps all the makeup on the bed to take your hands into hers. for once, you're filled with warmth at her gaze.

"does it look okay?"

"mm..i think i need to fix one thing." before you can ask what, her lips are on yours.

"oh." you say when she pulls away. she suddenly looks more shy than you've ever seen her. you can see her start to withdraw, but you don't want to let this go again. this time, you leave your seat and lean forward. somehow after all these months, your unattainable crush's face was cupped in your palms, your lips on hers, as you stand beside her bed.

oh my god.

header credit: @velvetblacks on tumblr