strawberries & cigarettes ☁️ pristin kyulkyung/jieqiong

☁️ strawberries & cigarettes - troye sivan

you noticed her one day while jogging around the school track. it was completely empty, except for her. she leaned back on the bleachers and watched you run. you talked to her for the first time that day. you gave her a bottle of water when you finished your run, and she gave you her number.

it took you three days to convince yourself to text her. it took three more for you to hang out with her. you went out on a saturday, and walked around a park. when you ended up in a deserted corner of the park, she offered you a cigarette. you declined, but sat beside her, tolerating the smoke. you walked home together, and when you hugged, you could still smell the smoke in her hair.

the two of you were quite the sight. you, with your varsity letterman and jeans. her, with her short skirts and combat boots. but it never mattered around her. because holding her hand was enough. watching her talk was enough. she was enough.

when you started dating, things didn't change much. you didn't mind the burn of the second hand smoke entering your lungs anymore, and she'd put on strawberry lip gloss before you kissed so you couldn't taste the ash. it didn't work very well, but you didn't say anything. you loved her. all of her.

you loved the shine in her eyes. you loved her wavy hair, even if it smelled like smoke. you loved her laugh. you loved strawberry flavored kisses and the smoke that rolled off her lips. you loved her.

the night she left, you laid on the roof beside her in silence. her cigarette burned the same color as the sky as the sun set. you watched the smoke float out of her mouth and disappear. she turn to you and smiled sadly. you buried your face into her thick hair, inhaling the bitter smell for the last time.

when you watched her car pull away for the last time, you could still taste the strawberry on your tongue. you never had much of a stomach for strawberries after that year. after all, strawberries and cigarettes would always taste like zhou jieqiong.