Companions | Stray Kids

"You know what, I don't mind snow all that much," Haneul tries to lie to herself as she takes careful steps out of her truck. The snow is only four inches high, but that's high enough to cause her trouble when she drives. The long dirt road that leads to her isolated house is hard enough to drive down in perfect weather conditions. Haneul isn't strong, or patient enough to go down the miles long dirt road and fill up the many potholes that pop up.

"Yea, why'd I have to listen to my parents and move here? Pshhh, I have no idea." Haneul talks to herself as she slams the truck door closed with her foot, her hands occupied with goodies that she can't get online.

With a sigh, she walks to her front door. Being careful not to slip or drop any of her bags, she twists the keys in her hand, trying to get the right one for her home.

Haneul's house isn't the most impressive, but it's home. The log house is set upon a foundation of stones, which would make the house cold if Haneul hadn't had the heated floors installed. The roof looks slightly wacky with all of its angles, but the snow has a hard time clinging to it. Plus, Haneul isn't one to complain about little things.

Except snow.

She'll always have a shadow of regret in her mind about moving to this home because of the cold and snow, but the house has grown on her.

"Got it!" Haneul smiles as she grasps her house key. Her smile disappears, along with the keys, when a sudden dog bark startles her. Quickly dropping the bags on the ground, she spins around towards the noise. Low and behold, a dog sits there, a few feet away from Haneul. No, not dog— dogs. Two dogs. Or, a dog and a puppy.

Haneul guesses the australian shepard dog is the one that barked. He lets out a soft whine when her eyes meet his ice blue ones.

"What are you two doing out here in the cold snow, huh?" Haneul asks as she crouches down and offers out her hand. The puppy, a big pawed german shepherd, limps over to where she is, favoring his front right paw. She has to hold in her cooing noises as the puppy nudges her hand with a cold nose.

"Are you two lost? Are you hurt? You poor puppy," Haneul gives in and coos as she scratches behind one of the puppy's ears. One of the ears flop over, refusing to stick straight up like the other. That makes her giggle as she reaches out to check the pup's right paw. The puppy whimpers and pulls back.

"Oh, I'm sorry pup- oh my gosh," Haneul gasps as she looks at the red on her hand. The puppy's foreleg is bleeding.

When she looks up, she's met face to face with the aussie dog. If he didn't have the light tan spots on his fur, he would've been able to blend in with the snow.

"I'm sorry I hurt him. I can help him though, if we go inside," Haneul offers as she glances back at her house. She looks back at the dog, then sighs. "You don't even understand me, do you? Though, I think you brought him here to get help. Is that right?"

Haneul gives a half smile as she pets the aussie dog's head. She slowly stands up, so she doesn't scare the two. Looking around for a few seconds before she spots the bright pink poof ball that's attached to her keys.

"Come, pup pups," she calls them as she unlocks and swings open the front door. Thankfully the aussie dog got it, as he picks up the german shepherd puppy by the scruff. He proceeds to walk into the house, going farther in as if he knows where he is going.

"Wait-" Haneul quickly closes the door, sheds her boots and jacket, then follows the wet doggy paw prints on the wooden floor. She finds them in her bathroom. The aussie has his nose in the cabinet under the sink, while the puppy sits obediently on the fuzzy shower mat.

Haneul narrows her eyes at the aussie dog as he sits down and stares at her, seeming like he's waiting for her to grab the first aid kit that resides underneath the sink. "You must be a really smart dog."

She works swiftly to clean the cut on the puppy's inner foreleg, offering soothing praises as he whines in discomfort.

"There we go," Haneul smiles as she finishes wrapping the bandage around the pup's wound. She pets between his ears, taking note that he looks a lot more relaxed as he softly sights. "That's a good pup."

"Can I pick you up?" Haneul asks the yawning puppy, even if he can't answer. He doesn't struggle when she wraps her hands around him, so she goes ahead and picks him up. He's limp in her arms, already in puppy dreamland. Giggling, she brings him to her bedroom, where she places him on the big king-sized bed. The puppy is barely as big as a pillow. He looks like he's being swallowed by the fluffy comforter she has on her bed.

A bark pulls her out of her thoughts. Haneul glances over to the doorway, gasping in surprise as she sees the aussie dog sitting there with her backpack beside him. The black backpack is usually by the door, and holds emergency food, first aid, and camping stuff, just in case Haneul needs to leave her home in a hurry.

"What are you doing with that?" Haneul rushes over to him and kneels down. The dog whines as he meets her gaze.

"You know, you seem way too smart," she stares at the dog. The two didn't have collars, so she doesn't know how to get in contact with their owners. Their fur may seem a little wet from the snow, but looks pretty well taken care of.

"Were you trained by secret agents or something?" Haneul stands kneels there in silence, staring a the dog, waiting for him to answer. He only blinks, then releases a huff of air. Haneul scrunches up her nose when the dog breath reaches her. "Fine, no asking about that, I guess."

The aussie dog releases another whine as he spins in a circle and looks back at the bag. With a confused tilt to her head, Haneul picks up the backpack and swings it on. "Now what?"

๑♡๑

A/N : I did a "Stray Kids as Dogs" blog on the stray kids amino, but no one really saw it *sad face*, but that's ok! This story was inspired by an aussie pup I met one morning that completely cheered up my whole week. I named him coups, but I haven't seen him since, sadly. Anyways, I kinda wanna continue this, but I kinda want someone to help me brianstorm on this one. Can't you tell that I'm wanting more peeps to talk to heheh.. 

Also, is my writing getting worse? getting better? I can't really tell. I also take long breaks between writing sometimes.. oh well.

Nat out~

(April 10, 2019)