Two

Taiyoung

How long before he returns?

I did not think that waiting would be so difficult. I did not think waiting would be such agony. But nevertheless, I have purposed in my heart to wait.

And with that, I placed the calligraphy brush down, admiring my work, and then immediately ignoring it.

I sat there on my padded pillow, working on the poem that I had written. Remember the form, the most important part of a poem is form, and verse and rhyme and meaning. The words of seonsan-gnim echoed within my mind. One of the many teachers that I had.

I finished my poem soon enough. It was homework, and I had endeavored to finish it before sword-fighting classes later this afternoon. I took a look at the time-keeper and saw that it was barely past noon. Great.

More things to do.

I looked down at my poem, and then shook my head, shaking my head. I knew better than to take a look at my work right after I finished it. Reading your work immediately after you've written it is like making sure your enemy is okay after you have stabbed them! As always, the wise words of seonsang-nim reverberated in the hallways of my thoughts.

I found that a bit creepy. Is it not a bit strange to have spent so much time with your teacher that you hear their iconic phrases within your mind?

I shook my head again. I rose to my feet, holding onto my pink hanbok and making sure that the intricate and delicately put on pin upon my hair did not go loose. I turned around and saw myself face to face with a mirror, framed by golden jade.

A woman stood before me, although all I saw was a child. A child who did not know what she was doing in life. A child being thrust into what she was not. A child that walked through the world of petals and jade wearing the pink hanbok and perfect cosmetics of a Princess.

"Remember who you are." I said this to myself, knowing full well that that did not come from seonsang-nim. Instead, those same words came from abeoji, my father, during the few times that he was able to speak to me even in the midst of his great business.

I felt a soul enter into my chambers. And then: "Neotaegun-nim?"

I blinked, raised my chin, and turned. "Good morning, Chu-ssi." I bowed by the waist, a casual bow.

The girl bowed in return. She was a few years my senior, but she had been born into a different stature than I. Now her and her mother both work in the Palace Home in Seoksoon, where I was right now.

"Your father calls for you in the dining area," she said with a smile.

My eyes widened. "Abeoji is home?"

I had changed into a clean pair silken beoseon, that is, white silk socks that were supposed to be worn with my hanbok. I followed Chu-ssi out of my personal housing and out into the sacred garden, where the pink peach flowers were blossoming, and the ponds were glistening with great happiness. I saw children running to and fro, gardeners tending to the various trees of bonsai and pines. In the middle of the garden was a great pavilion with thatched roofs, and with prayer strips to the four directional shin hanging from each side. A symbol of protection. Four arcing bridges connected the square outer rim of the garden--which was the hallway--and the Pavilion of the Four.

We crossed that garden, moving from west to east, and arriving at a long hall where sat a long polished wood table, with various jade and silver ornaments.