Five

Dayaw

"Master Jeoyeol, I think it is best that we descend into your quarters, lest we suffer another attack."

I blinked, slapped out of the reverie of Jeoyeol's words by Daesung. I stepped forward and shook my head, and pressed my hands against my cheeks. Why were my hands so cold?

I heard Jeoyeol sigh. "Yes, yes fine." I looked up just as he descended down the stairs with Daesung, and the damned slaver was grinning! He was grinning wildly at me!

Ah, the absolute gall.

I shook my head quickly and followed them down into the quarters. I didn't have anything else to do, truly, and it would be wise to stay there.

As I walked, my thoughts wandered to the truth: Alwaro and the other men of the barangay weren't captured. Others were killed, that was for sure, but they didn't go deeper into the barangay than they needed to. They didn't cross the Eastern Bridge despite it being easy to do so, as they have shattered our ranks.

Why didn't they?

Could it be because...?

No. That's impossible. I shook my head of the idea. "Stop it, Dayaw, you're being stupid," I snarled to myself before venturing back into the royal quarters of Jeoyeol.

When the door opened, Jeoyeol was only wearing his pants--silken and baggy, fitting for a noble of his stature, I suppose. However, when he turned to face me, what I saw was different from what I had expected. Sure, he was a warrior, but not all warriors could have a hard-defined muscle tone. Usually, that kind of toning was not needed in a warrior. All they needed was endurance, finesse, and the correct state of mind.

Jeoyeol's body was not of a nobles, that was for sure. Nobles have a paunchier gut than that, but his body was chiseled and sharp, abdomen and muscles rippling like solid stone, as if he were some marble statue placed atop a basilica. When he turned around and saw me, he raised an eyebrow.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Daesung cringing, covering his face with his book.

"Ah, apologies, Daewo, my meom-ya. I did not think you would follow us into this room so quickly."

I blinked, and then turned around, and then stepped out of the room, and closed the door. A million thoughts ran through my head as I slid down the door. I didn't realize I was covering my face. My hands were so cold! So damn cold!

Ta'kena! My heart feels like it's going to leap out of my chest! Damn, stupid Dayaw. Why would you just go in like that? You're no princess!

The door opened behind me as I silently screamed into my hands. "Dayaw!" It was Daesung. "Ah, oh. I apologize that you saw that. You must be so scarred." I felt his hands on my shoulders. "Were you that affected?"

I shook my head violently. I was afraid to raise my face, for the fear of Daesung seeing me as hot pink, pinker than the sun as it set. I quickly debated whether to act like I was crying, but decided against it. That was too dramatic, even for me.

"I'll tell Master Jeoyeol to be more careful next time. I apologize, Dayaw."

I nodded, still with my face in my hands.

Ah, what am I going to do? What is there to do? I want to go home. I don't want to be a slave! Certainly not a slave to a Giroan! But why does my heart feel like it wants to explode out of my chest? I hate him!

"Do you wish me to-"

I shook my head.

Why is Daesung so kind to me too? Why am I not in the hull of the ship, along with the rest of the slaves? Why am I up here, sleeping with Jeoyeol? Why Batala, why have you forsaken me like this?