Chapter Six

*time skip three moons*

Sharppaw was on a border patrol with his mentor, Frecklepad, Brownstep, Twilightstripe, and Mottledwing. Two moons before Mossstar had apprenticed him and made Brownstep a warrior.

"I smell a kittypet." said Twilightstripe tasting the air.

Sharppaw checked. He could smell it to. It was fresh but not so fresh that the cat was still there. "I think it just left." he said.

Frecklepad nodded. "Good nose. We probably scared it off." She laid the scent markers and the patrol continued on. "I want to take Sharppaw to the training hollow for some battle practice." she told the cats. "You can keep going and we'll meet back at camp."

"Sure." said Mottledwing, who was leading the patrol.

The cats split, Mottledwing, Brownstep, and Twilightstripe heading towards the last border and Frecklepad and Sharppaw heading towards the training area. The training area was a clearing full of soft grass, perfect for battle practice.

When they reached it Frecklepad turned towards Sharppaw. "You should probably work on defense against dogs sense its the middle of greenleaf so twolegs are always bring dogs out here. Most dogs are bigger then you so its not smart to take on one alone. Try to stay away from their teeth or else you will get shredded in a instant. Now pretend I'm a dog and attack me." she instructed.

Sharppaw obeyed and darted towards Frecklepad from the side. She turned and swiped a paw at him. He ducked making her miss and ran his paws across her side. Sharppaw jumped away as Frecklepad lunged at him. He jumped on her and scrapped his sheathed claws down her back. She threw him off and he landed on the grass.

"Very good." praised Frecklepad. "Thats enough for today."

Sharppaw got to his paws and followed her back to camp. "I wonder if I'll ever be good enough to be leader." he thought to himself.