Chapter 5

After a sleepless night, MacReady got up off the couch about six in the morning. Relentlessly, the discoveries of the previous night had plagued him all night. In the middle of the night, he noticed the light in Childs's room lit up. Maybe Childs was suffering from the same torment, he imagined .

— My cousin's husband works for the army - Childs said - He's waiting for us at the Fort Lewis base. From there we can return to Squak Valley Park. So we show everything to them, putting an end to this nightmare.

— I wonder how hard it must be for you, Childs. After all you're working for Syntronic - he said before smoothing his own beard - But I know you know this is the right decision.

Without a word, Childs nodded.

They got out of the room and into the car. Before Childs could turn the key in the ignition, three cars appeared out of nowhere, blocking the passage. Some gunmen stepped out the door of a white van.

— Turn around Childs! Let's go! They found us out -  MacReady shouted.

Childs gave up on starting the car before saying,

— I'm sorry, Mac.

Two men pulled MacReady out of the car. As he was carried to the van, he kept his eyes fixed on Childs, who remained in the car, watching the whole scene.

About forty minutes later, MacReady made sure they were on their way to the Advanced Research Center B when they recognized the surroundings. Childs was following the van in his car just behind, while the other two cars drove ahead.

As they approached the premises, he noticed a helipad that went unnoticed the night before. To his surprise, a short time later, a helicopter landed bringing Phillipe Simon aboard.

They parked in front of the building that served as entrance to the underground facility. The men in the van escorted MacReady to a meeting room in the basement, where he was left alone.

A few minutes later, Childs, Phillipe Simon and Seth Garrett emerged from the room. They quickly occupied the chairs of the long conference table.

— Hi, Mr. MacReady. My name is Phillipe Simon. I'm the director of Syntronic Medical Research. I was notified by Mr. Childs that you found our treasure.

— Cut the foreplay off your fucking clothes! I know who you are! I do not know who this man is at his side - he said, glaring at Childs.

— So that's why you knew this place was in the middle of nowhere. You've been here before. What happened to you Childs? I used to be someone I could trust.

— He did not tell you? - Phillipe Simon asked.

Childs bowed his head.

— Come on, Childs - the director said, putting his hand on his shoulder - He'd better know everything through you.

Still struggling to face MacReady, Childs began to speak looking at the table.

— It's my son Brian, he's sick, with a rare form of cancer. I only found out when we got back from the South Pole. He does not have much time, Mac. The cure is in that container - he said, pointing in the direction of the other room.

In an instant, MacReady understood his friend's drama. Immediately the face of his daughter Laura appeared in his mind.

— I'm sorry about your son Childs, but you can not believe anyone can control this Thing! You saw with your own eyes what it did to our team.

— You're mistaken Mr. MacReady - Phillipe Simon interrupted - We have the technology for that. You'd be surprised at the breakthrough we've made. We found him frozen - he said, handing MacReady an envelope with photos - He was finishing the absorption of his colleague Nauls when he tried to escape before the explosion of his base.