Epilogue

MacReady crossed the Seattle-Tacoma airport gate toward the boarding desk. The public phone booth near the entrance to the bathrooms made an idea come to mind. He picked up the old phone book from his coat pocket. The page where the number he wanted was marked with a fold.

As the coins passed through the crack, she could feel her heart pounding. After typing in the number, he drummed his fingers on the phone while he waited for someone to answer.

— Hello? said the female voice on the other end of the line.

— Hello, Jenniffer? It's me.

— Rian? Is that you? - He was surprised when he heard his ex-wife calling him by his first name. He'd almost forgotten how it sounded.

— Yes. Is everything okay with you?

— We are fine. What a surprise! How are you?

It was good to hear a familiar voice, he thought. The opening announcement of his flight boarding sounded on the airport's speakers. Although he wanted to extend the conversation, he explained the situation and asked to speak to his daughter. It took only a few seconds for Laura to answer.

— Dad? Is it really you?

A weight he carried on his shoulders had been relieved by that contact. He promised Laura that during his next break he would go to Los Angeles. The idea seemed like an oasis in the middle of the desert, after all he'd been through. Before he hung up, he was able to release those words that had been stuck in his throat during the last months:

— I love you Laura.

The big TV on the wall of the lounge next to the boarding gate announced the outcome of the Red Sox game as he advanced in the line. The 4 X 1 score on the New York Yankees looked very fair, according to the reporter. The three home runs the team made during the match were the highlight of the report.

MacReady handed the passport to the employee who received it with a smile. He entered the reserved area and advanced along the long corridor leading to the plane.

In the boarding lounge, a group of passengers watched the news.

— We came back with more information about the accident that took place at Syntronic Medical Research's research center in Squak Valley Park. The number of victims is still undefined, but it appears that director Phillipe Simon and scientist Seth Garrett are among the dead. The company's public relations department issued an official statement regarding the event, saying they regret it and that despite the serious accident, the production of the flu vaccine has not been compromised. They expect to comply with the vaccination schedule for next year, as previously agreed with the federal government.