The humane part of them

I woke up to a deep, metallic sound. I took a second to remember where I was, and was surprised I was not chained. The first thing I attempted was to try to open the door, which was futile, but it was the most logical thing to do.

I then decided To wander around the room, in which I awoke. It would also be quite sensible to get a feel for the room I was placed in, so I could try to find some escape. Surely there would be flaws I could take advantage of, I just had to look hard enough.

It was warm and not too bad for a holding room for prisoners such as myself. It was black everywhere; black walls, black ceiling, black floor. There was a peculiar-looking mirror placed in the middle of the front wall, which I find quite strange. And there were many things engraved unto the walls.

As I was looking at the menacing writing on the walls with words I am sure I would never find myself saying out loud, the door behind me opened with a long creak. I almost jumped as I was frightened by the sound, but when I realised where it came from, I turned around expectantly.

"Awake, are we, princess?' Came a voice. I recognised him immediately.

"You are the one who abducted me, criminal!' I sneered at him. Now, one would be surprised that I am not that afraid, in fact, I am far less afraid than I should be, yet I could not bring myself to care.

"Indeed." He said, coolly. "I did." He closed the door behind him, which was disappointing, but if I had to, I could still escape as he likely had not locked it.

"And for what purpose, criminal?' I countered.

"That is for you to figure out, princess." He smirked. I took a good look at him, then, and found that under all that wounds and scars, he was not that bad-looking. I could say with ease that I envied his raven black hair for its silkiness and beautiful colour, which astonished me, because I did not expect a criminal to have such nice hair. But perhaps, as someone of high status, I had not given enough justice to those of low statures. I admit I regret that, but this criminal had abducted me, after all, so I can't say I would not judge him personally, either. Others like him, I'd rethink.

His eyes were a complete new world of their own. A chocolate-brown, with golden flakes. They stood out in the dark, like the eyes of a cat, or more precisely, a predator. I couldn't tell whether it was simple wariness or pain that hid between them. I had read many novels, and had wondered; how can you look into someone's eyes and know how they feel? And until now, I had never understood. But as I stared into his, it struck me. The emotion in the eye was not one seen on surface, it hid deep below, and when you looked carefully, you would find all the tears they'd cried or the times they'd laughed in joy. His eyes drew me in, and chained me there. Closer, I wanted to be closer. I wanted to get lost in them. It made me feel like I wasn't afraid to fall, and perhaps I wasn't, but really I couldn't forget it was never about me, but rather the kingdom I had left in peril.

"I do suggest you stop staring at me, love." He chuckled. "It's giving me a funny feeling."

I scowled at him. "I suggest you let me go, criminal. Me being here gives me "funny" feeling." I mocked him, sarcastically.

He seemed shocked I would talk to him that way, because perhaps, that is not a clever thing for a prisoner to do. But I was not in the mood to be clever, anyway.

He shook off the shock he felt. "Getting angry, hm?' He gave me an easy smile. "You know, I didn't bring you here to hurt you."

"Oh, I'm sure you didn't," I do not know why, but I felt like being extremely sarcastic. For an inexplicable reason, his presence irritated me, to an extent which seemed to make me forget to fear for my life.