Grant What I Wish - Chapter 7. Combination

Chapter 7. Combination

If I separated myself from you,
I would turn entirely to thorn.
- Rumi

Nottingham
1195

Isabella slipped down into the bed, relishing the warm comfort of the covers. Her arm was recovering nicely from the wound she had received at the aborted coronation of Prince John. Funny that Guy had been attempting to shoot the prince with a cross bow, but had struck Isabella instead when Robin Hood had shot him. In any event, Isabella was healing as her brother lay rotting in the dungeon, awaiting execution. Sweetest of all, Prince John had named her Sheriff of Nottingham in reward for her bravery and attempts to assist him. Although the prince's ruse had been exposed by Robin Hood and everyone now knew that the body lying in that accursed coffin was not Richard's, Prince John lived to scheme another day. Before returning to London, he had named her sheriff, bestowing on her the power to decide life or death-and therefore, to order her brother's execution. First, though, he should be made to sit in the dungeon and suffer.

She had thankfully escaped the clutches of Sir Sheridan, who had met his own demise at the hands of Robin and his followers. She thought with regret that she must set aside all thoughts of Robin in order to harden herself to capture him. Prince John had stipulated that her continuance as sheriff depended on her ability to bring Hood and his outlaws to justice, and she intended to do just that.

It was time to sleep. She rolled over in bed to douse the candle and gasped in surprise to see Robin Hood seated on the edge of her bed. Before she could scream, he clapped his hand over her mouth and hissed, "Please be quiet! I will not hurt you-I merely wish to speak with you." His eyes searched her face, and when he felt certain she would listen to him, he eased his hand from her mouth and gave her cheek a quick caress.

"What are you doing here," she asked, glancing about the room to see if he was alone.

"I want you to help us bring about the downfall of Prince John," Robin said seriously.

Isabella laughed bitterly. "He made me sheriff-why should I work to bring about his downfall?

"Because, sooner rather than later, you will do something to disappoint or anger him, and you, too, will be sitting in the dungeon as your brother is doing now," he replied quietly.

"Guy brought about his own downfall," she said with relish. "I am far too clever to end up as he did. I will do what I can to serve the prince while looking out for the interests of Nottingham." Seeing the glint of amusement in his eyes, she continued defensively, "I intend to be the best sheriff that Nottingham has ever seen."

"And so you shall, but only if you help us undermine Prince John. Not too long ago, you told me you wanted to contribute to his downfall-that he begged your defiance. Work with us, Isabella, to free this land from his oppression."

"Enough," she said sharply. Throwing back the covers, she moved toward the door to call the guards, but before the words were out of her mouth, Robin was through the window. She sprinted to the opening and peered down to see him swiftly climbing down a rope. Racing back to the bed, she slid a dagger from under the pillow and returned to the window to hack at the rope. Robin increased his pace, but was still a good ten lengths from the ground when she sliced through the rope. He fell to the ground and lay winded for a second before gaining his feet. He glanced up at her as she hung out of the window and sketched a mocking bow, then slipped into the shadows. Isabella peered out the window, but saw no sign of Robin. He had escaped once again. She was angry at herself because for one unthinking moment, she had been happy to see him perched upon the edge of her bed. She remembered her conversation with Little John several days ago, as he escorted her back to the castle after her rescue from Thornton. She had been in high spirits, believing that Robin cared for her, only to have her hopes dashed by John's thoughtless words. "If he cares for anyone," John had declared stoutly, "it would be Kate. She is worth her weight in gold, he asserted, and Robin recognizes that worth."