Holding hands

Kaneki stood next to Tuskiyama, staring into space. He had been extremely busy the last few days, even more so than usual, thoughts sluggish and head strangely, thankfully, empty. He was glad the voices had stopped, the screams, the sobs. For now, even as tired as he was, he had a chance to just be. No war strategies, no suicidal missions, nothing. He watched as Tsukiyama knelt down, scooping up a kitten and showing it to Hinami. She had been wanting a cat for so long, but none of them had had time to take her to a pet store. Not to mention it had been way too dangerous lately.

The kitten was small, black and white, with mismatched eyes. The employee, a young woman with curly blond hair, enthusiastically told Hinami about what to do to care for it, and possible names, while Kaneki half-listened, not really paying attention. He was more focused on Tsukiyama. The gourmet was sitting on the floor, petting the little ball of fur, cooing and kissing it all over its face.

Probably not the best idea, very unhygienic, but he didn't have the heart to tell the other man that, not when he looked so content. Kaneki didn't think he'd ever seen the gourmet so happy  before. He'd been spending a lot of time at the group's apartment, and Kaneki had found he hadn't really minded the ghoul's presence. He had taken Hinami shopping a few times, and continued to bring flowers. He had even started saying Banjo's name right. Kaneki wondered what his goal was. He kept his guard up for the most part, because he still suspected Tsukiyama still ultimately wanted to eat him. Lately, though, it seemed as if........

"Onii-chan!"

He snapped back to the real world, tearing his gaze from Tsukiyama, who hadn't even noticed Kaneki staring at him, too wrapped up in the kitten. It was cute. No, focus, Kaneki! He smiled at her. "Yes, Hina?"

"What do you think we should name her?" Hinami looked excited. So, they were getting the kitten. Tsukiyama had said he'd pay for the adoption, if they had decided to get a cat today.

Kaneki studied the kitten. "Hmmm...I'm not sure. Oreo, maybe?"

She was black and white, after all, just like an oreo.

"NON!" Tsukiyama exclaimed, startling both Hinami and Kaneki. He continued. "We cannot call this kitten after a food!! She needs a proper name!"

Kaneki tried not to laugh at the gourmet's vehemence, but didn't completely succeed. Tsukiyama pouted, looking at Kaneki. "What is so funny, mon prince?"

Kaneki didn't answer right away, suddenly realizing how full the others lips were. He remembered the feel of them, from so many weeks ago. He had an urge to kiss the pout right off them. "Um.....just that it's ironic. Because," he snorted another laugh, catching the hurt look that crossed the other ghoul's face for a split second and immediately feeling guilty.

"Well, she does need a name," Hinami mused. "And I like Oreo, flower man. Though I can't eat actual oreos."

Tsukiyama sighed, looking at the kitten. "Can you believe this, cherie? They want to name you after a cookie. How tragic!"

"Oreo," Kaneki called, trying out the name. The cat meowed and looked at him. He grinned at Tsukiyama's face. "Well, Oreo it is, huh?"

"Cookie," The gourmet mumbled. " A cat named Cookie."

Hinami giggled and gently took Oreo from him, while the older man got to his feet, brushing fur off his suit. "I will sign for the adoption, madame," He smiled charmingly at the blond girl, who hadn't left their side as they shopped for a pet. She beamed and scurried off.

"Thank so, so much, Onii-chan, for letting me get her!! And you too, flower man!" Hinami was bursting with excitement, hugging the cat close.

"Of course, little lady," Tsukiyama smiled, and Kaneki nodded, a small smile tugging at his own mouth. He loved that he was able to make Hina smile like that. Maybe, just maybe, he was good at something other than killing.

A few minutes later, the trio walked out of the pet store, Hinami skipping ahead with Oreo while Kaneki and Tsukiyama carried what they'd need to take care of a pet. Cat food, food and water bowls, and a litter box were ll stuffed in bags, shared equally by the gourmet and the eyepatch.

As they walked, Hinami talked to Oreo, telling her all the things they'd do together.

Tsukiyama was quiet, suprisingly, and Kaneki found himself looking over at the gourmet periodically. The other ghoul looked lost in thought, and Kaneki wondered if he should ask Tsukiyama what was on his mind. Since things seem to be going so well today.....

"Tsukiyama-san?"

The other ghoul looked down at him, smiling a bit too brightly. "Oui, Kaneki-kun?"

"What are you thinking?"

For a moment, the man was silent, a worried frown on his face. Kaneki began to think the other would not reply, but then he did. "Well.....I was simply thinking of how nice this is. Just.....being here with you,and the little lady, with no one dying or others trying to kill us. I wish......I wish it could be this way, always.I do not want...I do not want you or the little lady, or Banjo, to be hurt."

Kaneki was suprised, to say the least. "That's...oh...."

They were quiet again. The sun was warm, struggling to break through the clouds, the city bursting with life. Kaneki didn't know how to reply to Tsukiyama's seemingly genuine words. He bit his lip, thinking. Suddenly, a hand was gripping his, tentative and cautious. He looked down. Tsukiyama had taken his hand. They were holding hands. Kaneki felt his cheeks warm. It's not a big deal, he told himself. He probably...probably what? There weren't a lot of reasons for the gourmet to hold his hand. He wondered if he should take his hand back, but decided not to. It wasn't hurting anyone. And if Tsukiyama tried anything, he could handle it. In the meantime, well.....it was kind of nice, having someone squeezing his hand lightly, a larger hand enclosing his. He would allow it. Hinami glanced back discreetly, smiling to herself when she saw her brother and friend holding hands, then turned back around, humming to herself.