Chapter 15

The wedding ceremony went off without a hitch. Louise looked stunningly beautiful in a strapless ivory gown. Sam couldn't stop smiling. Grant and I danced half the night away until I had to take my shoes off.

"Uh, I am not used to wearing heels," I moaned, as we sat down at a table with Gordon and Mum.

"You were dancing up a storm, Ren," laughed Gordon. "Dancing like a pro."

"I made her look good," joked Grant, ducking as I swung a stiletto at his head.

"You probably did," I agreed. I turned to watch Sam and Louise slow dancing in the middle of the dance floor, oblivious to us all. "They look so cute."

"Sure do," sniffed my mother, taking a tissue from Gordon. "Thank you." She jumped up and dashed to the ladies' room.

"I need a glass of water," said Grant. "Anybody else?"

"Oh, yes please," I replied, "Make it a jug." I rubbed my swollen feet as he weaved through tables to the bar.

The slow song ended, and the speakers pumped out Nutbush City Limits. Sam whispered something to Louise, who laughed and nodded. Sam dashed to drag Mum onto the floor as she headed back to our table. Louise pointed to Grant. I grabbed Gordon's arm, and we edged our way through the tables to the side door. We slipped outside with our drinks and laughed.

"That was close," I joked.

We watched the dancers through the sliding glass doors. Mum was trying to teach Sam the moves, while Grant and Louise looked like Nutbush pros. I followed Gordon to a wooden park bench. We sat down and sipped our drinks.

"So, Marjorie has been charged with arson, and they're throwing the book at Janet," said Gordon.

"I still can't believe Marjorie did that," I said, shaking my head. "She's a good person. She was about to retire. All her plans have gone out the window. Her poor husband."

"Your friend, The Hawk, and Diane Brown handed in a box of files from Norman Somerset's cabinet to the police. Colin is making sure the electorate knows he is working with police to solve those old cases.

"Huh, typical politician," I snorted. "I wonder if he would have been so helpful if he wasn't one."

"Where are you gonna live?" asked Gordon.

"I'm staying at Sam's until they get back from their honeymoon. I'll stay with Mum until the settlement of the apartment building. I'll move into the manager's unit and start renovations after that."

"How did you get a loan for that much?"

"Mum and Sam are silent partners. They chipped in."

"Oh good. It should keep you out of trouble for a while," said Gordon, half-joking.

"Thanks," I laughed. "It should." We sipped our drinks in silence for a while.

"Have you heard from the Kaber girls?" asked Gordon.

"No. I didn't really expect to," I replied, stirring the ice cubes around the edge of my glass.

"What a mess," Gordon murmured. "And, how are you?"

"I'm fine," I said, "I just feel so sorry for them. Nick Kaber is a piece of work."

"Sounds like it."

I tapped my glass. "I just feel like it's not over, you know? Like there's more to it."

"To your dad's death or to the Kabers?" asked Gordon.

"Maybe both," I shrugged, "I don't know. I mean, think how many girls gave up their babies to Somerset and Janet over the years. How many were burned in that basement? How many sickos like Nick and Rebecca Kaber are there out there?" I sipped my drink.

The song changed inside, but all I could hear was the bass. No one left the dance floor, so it must have been a good one.

"Do you like being a private investigator?" I asked.

"Yeah, it has its moments," Gordon replied. "Why? Are you changing your mind?"

"No. I've got too much on my plate as it is. Do you like it better than being a cop?"

Gordon scratched his chin. "I don't have as many rules to follow, but I don't have easy access to police files and information. I have to call my old mates for that. A lot of them are retiring, so my sources are disappearing."

"Have you ever solved a case, or come to a resolution, or whatever you call it, and feel like you've been lied to by a client?" I asked.

"I generally only take on cases where I feel that the client is telling the truth. I have had a couple of potential clients that were too keen for me to find evidence that their partners were cheating. I declined the jobs and found out later that both were either trying to get out of prenups or trying to bribe their ex-partners in divorce cases. I want no part of those."

"Would you help someone you didn't believe if you knew their partner was a jerk?" I asked.

"Not worth it," Gordon shook his head. "It would all come out in the wash."

He stared at me for a while, then stood up and stretched.

"You going back inside for a dance?" I laughed.

"I might get you up," he grinned at me.

"Not going to happen," I assured him. "Mum is a great dancer."

"You coming in?" he asked.

"I might stay out here for a while."

"Grant will be worried that you dumped him." Gordon shook his head and slipped back inside the door. I watched him walk over to my mother. She pulled him onto the dance floor, and they began to jive.

I suspected Gordon knew something was up, but he didn't want to know. I didn't want to get him involved. If I told him the truth, he might have me thrown in jail. I was determined that the Kaber girls would not be blamed for anything.

As I watched Gordon point Grant in my direction, I downed the rest of my drink, faked a smile and walked towards the door. I knew I could never be a police officer, nor could I be totally honest with my friends or family. I felt empty again for the first time since my father's death. This time I had brought it on myself with my choices, but I knew I would do it all again in a second.