748 Notches Later

I'm sorry for the wait. I've watching Hannibal and take in mind I wrote this with a teething baby in my lap.

"forty-six, forty-seven, fort-"

The sound of several hard shoes slapping the concrete interrupted my counting. I turned away from the wall to the dirty white door adjacent to it. There was the sound of keys and the clean sound of the keys slotting in. The door swung open and there stood five guards, and the Alpha of Alphas' Beta. He said nothing as they pulled me up from the ground and handcuff my hands and chained feet in silver.

I was silent as they led me through the corridor where each door lead to mass killers and up the steps. Two guards had to help me up since up since I could only make baby steps. We crossed a landing, went up another pair of steps, entered a lift and into a meeting room. There were tables placed in a U shape and Alphas across the nation sat together.

However, there were some seats unfulfilled.

I was immediately on edge. The alphas only usually came together on important or crucial times. Other than it happening every Autumn every four years, emergency meetings had only happened twice in the time I had been alive. The first was when they found a Vampire colony in the Rocky Mountains and the second time was when I was sentenced.

They pushed me to my knees in the centre and I looked up at the Alpha of Alphas. He had a stern, cold face covered in scars. Black hair gelled and slicked back all the way to the nape of his neck, he creeped me out. His eyes were so dark, they were almost black and muscles bulged through his suit, making him look grotesque. They said that looking when you looked into his eyes you saw the Alphas before him and the history of every werewolf that ever lived. There was nothing there.

He cleared his throat and I stared blankly ahead. "We have something we could offer you, Charlotte. Although you'll have to do something for us." It was then I noticed the grave faces of the Alphas surrounding me. I immediately fished out Joshua's father. We held eye contact and I looked away. "We're willing to shorten your sentence."

"What? from seven lifetimes to six?"

My bitter joke angered him. He banged a fist on the table and it cracked in half. I jumped, never seeing someone show emotion in the two years I had been in isolation. The Alpha of Alphas stood up and said to me, "this is not a joke." His voice was grave and he looked at me like I was scum. "Now that the Vampires have broken their treaty, we have lost many of our brothers," there was an awkward moment of silence as they hung their heads, "and we have nowhere to turn but to the most dangerous of our kind."

We were the 'most dangerous of our kind'? Wow, that's some title. Since we had been imprisoned, my wolf had been obsessed with our status. I only just realised that she was a dominating wolf, often common in Alphas. She was excited to hear that my name was known across the US, every werewolf had found out about how I had massacred a pack.

I was infamous.

I hushed my wolf (who clearly had different priories) and asked what they were going to give me in return for my help.

Again, he looked at me in disgust, "you're sentence will be dropped," he said as if he was making the worst mistake but knew he had to anyway.

"And what do the people think of a homicidal maniac roaming the streets?" I couldn't stop the corner of my lip twitching and so I gave a full-on smile.

The Alpha of the Alphas hesitated. Hesitated.If I could make the most powerful werewolf doubt himself, than what the hell had I become?

"The situations have changed." This was all he said.