Chapter 7

Y/N's POV
       Thomas leads us underneath rubble of the fallen ceiling above us. As we hear the sound of cranks rustling around looking for us, we try and stay as quiet as possible. I see Minho look at me out of breath. "You really can run." He whispers with a smile. In the corner of my eye, I see Thomas motion me to come over to him. I slowly get out of my crouching position and step over to him. "I'm sorry." he whispers as he looks down at the ground. "For what?" I ask. He pauses in silence. "For underestimating you." He says looking at me. His dark brown eyes stare deep into my soul. "No hard feelings." I say and quietly walk back to my spot.
       Everyone decides it's best we get some sleep. Winston is already out and everyone else is laying down ready to peacefully go to sleep. But I don't want to. I don't want to remember. I don't want to wake up terrified like I did earlier. I sit against the wall and burry my face in my knees. "Why aren't you trying to sleep love?" Newt asks walking toward me with his knees bent down so he doesn't hit his head. "I'm keeping watch." I say in a shaky tone of voice. Newt sits next to me and says, "Now we both know that's not the case." Newt looks at me but I stare straight ahead. "I don't want to remember." I say. Newt runs his fingers through his shaggy hair. He then turns my direction and asks, "How do you know that wasn't a one time deal?" I wait there for a second. Does he really think that was a one time thing? "I have no clue." I say looking at his face. He sets his bag down and gets in a comfortable position. "Then why don't we figure it out. If you have a bad memory, I'll be right here." Newt says. I smile and lay my head on my back pack in a comfortable position. "Why do you all the sudden trust me." I ask turning to Newt. He rotates his body toward mine and says, "Well. We might be the last immunes. Shouldn't we stick together?" Newt says with a smile. "And the fact you saved me from that crank today. I owe you one." Newt adds. A small giggle slips through my mouth. "Goodnight Newt. And thank you." I say. A shiver is sent up my arm as Newt grabs my hand. "Get some rest love. You need it." He says.
       "Y/N! What have you done!?" Some woman screams at me. Her face is a blur but she's wearing a complete white outfit. The woman grabs my waist and pulls out a gun from the back of my pants. "This is no way to treat your mother Y/N!" She says. She aggressively throws the gun onto the table. I jump back terrified. She walks around the table and grabs my right wrist. I pull and kick but no force makes her let go of her grip. She takes me downstairs and opens the big freezer. "Get in!" She yells. "No momma! Please don't make me go in there again! Please!" I beg with tears rolling down my cheeks. She grabs my leg and forces me into the freezer. "No! No! Please!" I yell as she shuts me in darkness.
       A gasp escapes my mouth as I sit up sweating. I feel tears on my face as the sun brightly shines on my eyes. I start to hyperventilate. Ringing fills my ears and it's all I can hear. "Y/N!" A familiar voice yells next to me. The ringing stops as I look at Newt in the eyes. "Memory?" He questions. I nod and wipe my tears away. I look around to see everyone is still asleep. The sun just barely is up but it's enough to completely wake me up. "Do you want to talk about it?" Newt questions as he sits there next to me. "I'm going to take a walk." I say slowly getting up. Out of no where Newt grabs my forearm. "We still don't know if it's safe." He says pulling me back in his direction. All the sudden, Thomas wakes up yelling, "Get outta here!" He starts to swat away a bird trying to get to our food in his bag. "Hey. Get up. Fry. Winston. We're safe." Thomas says getting everyone up from their slumber. I stand up outside of our little cave area and grab my bag. Winston struggles to get up due to his wounds on his stomach. He moans and groans before Frypan says, "Hey. It's okay dude. I got you." Fry holds out a hand for him and he takes it. I start to walk in the direction of the sun. "Hey Y/N hold up." Thomas says as he runs to my side. We all walk up the debris from the destroyed building. We look over the edge to see something crazy. Something terrifying. Something giving us lack of hope. A fallen city. Tall buildings, but they are all in horrible shape. Looking as if they could fall any second. I feel a hand place itself on my shoulder. I look back and see Minho's hand there. "Let's go." He says stepping in front leading the way.
       Looking at this. This city. Is it like this everywhere? "What happened here?" Fry questions. "Where are we?" Aris asks right after. "I dunno. But it doesn't look like anyone has been here for a very long time." Newt added as we continue to walk down what use to be a small road. We all walk in a line, Newt in front of me and no one else behind me. I decide to take the back while everyone went ahead. Something didn't feel right. My stomach is turning. The ground beneath my feet is shaking. "Wait! Shhh." I say putting a finger over my lips. "Listen." I say looking around. A faint noise fills my eardrums. Rumbling noise in the distance? Then it hit me. "Get down! Everybody hide!" I yell pointing in the direction of some fallen debris. We all duck underneath it as one of Wicked's ginormous air crafts fly over us. I look over at Thomas as we make eye contact. A worrisome look appears on his face as he slowly walks out from underneath the rubble. "Their looking for us? This far out?" Minho asks. "Let's take a small break. Minho, Newt, you guys come. We need to talk." Thomas says as they walk somewhere where they can talk in private. "And Y/N." Thomas shouts telling me to come over. I slowly get up and make my way to their small huddle.
       "What do we do? Wicked is on our tails looking for us, Winston can barely walk, we don't know exactly where we're going, and everyone is thirsty. How do we fix this?" Thomas questions. They brought me over here to help make a decision? Am I considered one of them now?! "What if we sleep during the day. Then we travel after dark. Wicked wouldn't be able to see us through the dark." Minho suggests. I look down at my feet wanting to say something, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. "Everyone agree?" Newt asks in his funny accent. "Not exactly." I say as I continue, "What about those cranks. Back at that building, they seem to be more active at night. That means we would be putting ourselves at risk with someone who can barely walk." Thomas looks in my direction. "She has a good point. We don't know how bad it gets overnight." Thomas says looking at Winston as he holds his stomach in pain. "I say we travel during the day and try to get as far away from Wicked as possible. We can set up small camps at night in small places to avoid the cranks. We can follow our gut as to what direction we go." I suggest. They all three nod in agreement. "But what about Winston?" Newt asks looking back at the boy in pain. "What about him?" Minho asks. "Minho! He can barely walk." Thomas says, "Just look at him." All four of us go silent thinking about the problem at hand. Is Winston going to be okay? "What if we just carry him." Thomas suggests. Minho nods in agreement. "That would never work. We have to travel far and we would get to tired to carry him all that ways." I say facing reality. There is no possible way we could carry him for that long. "She's right. We have to think of another way." Newt says. Once again, silence fills the air. All we can hear was the slight breeze blowing against our ears. "Do you think he could you a stick to help support him up?" Thomas asks. Everyone looks up at the same time with lit up eyes. "Good idea. We can have him try it. Hopefully it works." Minho says. "Okay everyone spread out and look for a sturdy stick." Newt says.
       We all walk in different directions to look for some kind of walking stick. I look over at the rest of the group. Their all sitting down catching their breath due to the lack of water. Aris looks angry. His face full of frustration. Teeth clenching. Fist making. Something is bothering him. But what could it be? "Does this work?" Newt questions holding up a dark brown stick about as thick as the baseball bat Aris is carrying around. "That looks sturdy. Fry. Help Winston over here." Thomas says as we all make our way over to Newt. Frypan slips his arm around Winston's waist and forces him up. "Winston, try using this to walk." I say handing him the stick. Winston grabs it as Fry slowly lets go. "That works for now! Let us know if you need a break, okay?" Minho says to Winston. "Okay we need to get going. The farther we can get, the better. It's going to get dark faster than we know it." I say as we all once again grab our gear.
We continue to walk. It's been about an hour and we still haven't found anything. No water. No shelter. Nothing. The sand is messing everyone up. Making us sneeze and cough. We walk up a mound of sand and look over to see mountains. "There! That's where we're going." Thomas says. Out of nowhere, Winston falls, tumbling over the mound about to slide down. "Winston!" Thomas yells. "Hey! Winston!" Newt shouts. We watch as he lays there out of breath and his fever gradually getting higher. I look at Minho. "What do we do?" I question. Minho shrugs. All the sudden, an idea popped in my head. I grab Winston's walking stick, and pick up another one kind of close by. I drop my bag and pull out two blankets. "Y/N, what are you doing?" Teresa asks. I look up at her and say, "I'm making him a spot to lay."
I take the two blankets and connect the two sticks with the blankets. "Thomas, Minho. Come here." I yell. They both run to me and I say, "I made Winston a movable bed. Since you two are the strongest, you are going to pull him." I say handing them the ends of the two sticks. "Fry! Bring Winston this way." I shout.
Frypan walks over with Winston in his arms. "Put him there." I say. Fry does what I ask and I motion Minho and Thomas to walk. With a bit of force, Winston is able to lay down and still get somewhere. "Okay were good. Everyone! Let's go!" I yell to the others. "Hey Y/N." Newt says. My attention is brought over to him as he says, "Nice work." I smile and start walking with the others.
       We stop at this spot underneath some rock. I just stand here looking at the mountains. Out of no where, I feel a presence behind me. I turn around as I see Newt standing there. He walks next to me and says, "It seems like there only getting farther." Newt drops his head, then brings it back up looking in the same direction as me. "It feels like we're never going to make it. With Winston hurt and not able to walk, it's only slowing us down." I say looking back to the others underneath the rock. The scorching sun shines on our back making me sweat a little. "Don't worry love. We will make it." Newt assures me. The sound of a gunshot fills the air behind me. I turn around and start sprinting towards the others. "What's going on?!" I say panicking and looking at each and everyone to make sure their okay. Everyone seems fine until I see Frypan take a gun from Winston. "I don't know. He just grabbed the gun and tried to..." Frypan says without finishing his explanation. "Winston. What's wrong?" I ask crouching down next to him. It's quiet for a second until Winston gets the strength to speak. "It's growing." Winston says lifting up his shirt to show us his scratches on his stomach. His wounds are now a blackish color, looking as if they're infected. "I'm not going to make it." Winston says putting his shirt back down. His breathing is heavy as he turns over to throw up some black substance. "Please." Winston says reaching for the gun in Frypan's hand. I feel some tears build in my eyes. Thomas takes the gun from Frypan and places it in Winston's hand. He says his goodbyes and then walks out from underneath the rubble. Then one by one, the others say their goodbyes. After a few minutes, It's just me and him. He motions me over with his hand. I crouch down as he says, "Look Y/N. I know you haven't been with this group for long, but you've earned your place. Take care of them like you did me. They will seek to follow your leadership. You will make me proud. Goodbye Y/N." Winston says laying there. I feel my heart pound as I give him a kiss on the forehead. I stand up and walk away. Away from his body. Walking behind the others when we hear a noise. The gunshot to his death. I feel myself drop a tear as I quickly wipe it away.
Nightfall hit soon after, so we found some shelter near this small building in the middle of no where. We sit around the fire that Fry made. Everyone is trying to keep warm with a few jackets on. I sit here next to Newt as all of us are silent. "We need to be careful now. If Winston can become infected, then we should expect the same with us." Newt says ask he leans back. I continue to feed the fire with the sticks Aris and Newt gathered earlier. "Y/N. Come here." Minho says standing behind me. I turn and get up. As I walk toward him, I feel the cold breeze blow against me. It is freezing. We walk around the building as Minho stands in front of me. "What's wrong?" He questions. "What do you mean? I'm fine." I say shivering a little bit. "Wait hang on." Minho says taking off his coat. "No Minho, you don't have to-." I say as he drapes his coat over my back. "Now. What's wrong? You haven't said one word since we left Winston." Minho asks. I stand there wondering if I should tell him. "It's just what Winston said to me. The fact that I don't want to fail you guys. And the sleep memories every night really doesn't help my case." I say looking down. "Sleep memories?" Minho questions. "After Janson injected me with some liquid, I've been having the bad memories come back to me while I'm sleeping. I'm scared to go to sleep at night. I just-." I say until he pulls me into a hug. I just now realize the tears on my face. "Winston is a smart guy. Whatever he said to you must be true. Now about the sleeping. Just know that we can't change your past. But we will be here to help you with your future. Okay?" Minho questions as he is still hugging me. I nod and pull away from his grasp. "Okay let's head back to the others." Minho says wiping my tears with his thumb. I nod as I follow him while we walk back to the others.