Chapter 14

Tessa's POV:

A flash of blue scales had my attention.

I crouched motionlessly under the bush, impatiently waiting for another glimpse. It didn't take long for Dirk to slink between bushes as he kept low to the ground, glancing around nervously. He knew I was out here somewhere.

It was hard to hold still, but any movement would draw his attention to my hiding place. After a few minutes, he moved under another shrub – right beside mine.

His blue snout poked out as he quickly glanced around and started scurrying in my direction.

With a fierce cry, I jumped out at him. With a squall of surprise, he reared up before falling backwards.

"I caught you!" I proudly exclaimed as I tapped his tail and danced around him.

A flash of silver high above made me bolt back under my bush. Dad aborted his dive, side-slipping low enough to also tag Dirk, before quickly flying higher up to land on a branch above.

He was waiting for me to come out.

Dirk got to his feet and ran off before Mom showed up. Which left me in hiding with nowhere to go. I wasn't going to win this match – even Mom wasn't usually fast enough to outfly Dad.

But there was no reason for me to fly when we both knew he was a better flyer than me.

Could I lure him into a small spot? There was only one way to find out. I stuck my head out to see him better, and his eyes never left me. I took two steps out while bobbing my head, waiting to see what he would do.

He shifted his wings, but didn't swoop down yet, knowing I could back up before he could get down. I ducked under the bush and peeked out from a tighter spot. He still didn't move, but I saw something he didn't.

I took another step out, half-unfurling my wings to keep his attention on me. He seemed to realize that something was amiss at the last second and glanced up. With a trill of alarm, he launched off his branch as he tried to evade Mom's divebomb.

I momentarily gaped at their speed and rapid changes in direction, but remembered that I needed a better hiding place. I started running quickly, keeping out of sight under bushes as much as possible.

I managed to get to the house without being spotted by Mom, Dad, or Dirk, although Taureen and Aeria spotted me as I weaselled my way under the shrubs that grew beside the house. I bet they would never think of looking for me here.

I curled up and waited. And waited. And waited.

With a silent yawn, I rested my head on my hands and tried to stay awake.

"Tessa, where are you?" Mom's somewhat worried voice interrupted my half-doze.

"If I tell you, that makes it too easy for you."

Her faint relief came over the mindlink along with renewed determination to find me. I wasn't sure why she was relieved – Dad told me that it was safe in the backyard.

I had almost fallen asleep again when Dad called out, "Alright, you win this match. Come out."

Staggering to my feet in my haste, I slipped out of my really good hiding spot and climbed up on Aeria's lap. That hiding place was going to be my secret. I relaxed as Aeria began petting my scales with her warm hands. I could see Mom's golden scales gliding above the bushes as she peered inside them.

"Tessa. You can come out now," Mom said, echoing Dad's earlier call.

"I came out. I'm with Aeria."