Catching Up

You wake up to a faint light coming through the window as you stand up and stretch before rubbing your neck. You were sleeping on your desk with three empty cups of coffee next to a bunch of textbooks and a blanket covering over you. The whole reason that you were even studying this hard was that something that Chifuyu said the previous day.

---

"You've never taken any IS classes prior to your enrollment so you need to make up three-quarters of a semester of learning. So I'm assigning you all of the readings on the lessons prior to this week with a remedial test to see if you have retained everything next week. If you pass then you don't have to make up the classes." Chifuyu explains to you after class.

"And what would happen if I were to fail this test? Not saying that I would fail and I won't study. Just what would happen?" You ask with curiosity.

"If you were to fail this test, then you'll have to take remedial classes over summer break." The news hit you like a ton of bricks and it determined you to study to the best of your ability.

---

You look over to see that Charlotte was nowhere to be seen as you look at the time. It read 10:23 as you groan. 'Jeez... My head is groggy. Guess I was up late last night.'

You noticed the blanket over your body with confusion because you don't remember wrapping around one but decide to push it away and take a shower. Afterward, you got out and peeked outside the window. It was the weekend so you didn't have any classes. "Nice day today... It'd be a waste to just stay inside and study... but summer classes are another issue..."

---

"And the result to this problem was settled rather easily... not that it was that complicated, to begin with." You say sitting under a tree on a picnic blanket as you feel the wind blowing on your face. You spin your pen before opening your notebook and take out your textbook before starting to crack into the problems but you couldn't concentrate on it for more than 20 minutes as you groan.

"Man! Why must I do this nonsense!?" You shout out before falling back. "Jeez. Maybe I'm still tired..."

The warm sun was shining brightly and the wind's breeze could almost tickle your nose and the next thing you knew, you were asleep.

---

Charlotte had walked into your shared dorm room with a tray so that you could eat. 'That's strange... Did he leave? I guess so..."

Charlotte walked back to the cafeteria and returned the food before walking outside to see you napping under the tree. She walks over and watches you sleeping peacefully under the tree before slightly nudging you. Your eyelids slowly open as she pokes your cheeks.

"Mmh..." You rub your eyelids and sit up before seeing Charlotte sitting next to you rather closely as you jump onto your legs. "Charlotte! When did you get here?!"

"Not that long ago. I went back to our room to wake you up with lunch but you left." Charlotte explains. "Did you eat anything?"

Before you could answer, both of you could hear your stomach rumbling as your face starts turning bright red. Charlotte couldn't help but chuckle. "Hey! Stop laughing."

"Sorry... sorry. It was just so sudden. I wasn't expecting it." Charlotte apologizes before looking at all the books. "You're studying quite hard..."

"Well yeah. I don't want to be stuck taking those make-up classes over summer break. I happen to like my long term breaks. So study hard, play harder later." You explain with a sigh before rubbing your stomach. "I could really go for some food."

"Well then. How about I get you something? They stopped serving the katsu but I bet they still have some sandwiches for you." Charlotte said standing up.

"Aah. You don't have to do that. I can get it myself." You said as Charlotte already starts walking towards the cafeteria. "Aah..."

Charlotte came back holding two yakisoba bread and hands them both to you. "You have a long day ahead of you so you have to eat."

"R-Right. Thank you, Charlotte." You said before digging into your food. "Gotta say. Even just yakisoba bread. The food here is amazing. Beats what I make by a long shot."

"You used to cook your own food?" Charlotte asks with curiosity as you nod. "Oh. Were you alone at home all the time?"

"Yeah... Dad worked away from home and mom was an IS pilot before... you know. After her funeral, it was just me at home by myself. I had to do something for myself so cooking just took my mind off everything." You say eating the food slowly while Charlotte was quietly listening. "At first, my food was absolutely horrible. I couldn't cook if my whole life depended on it. But as time went on, and a bunch of experimenting later, I was able to cook something that I actually enjoyed."

"Wow... You must have been through a lot." Charlotte said as she felt like she had to share her story. She revealed that she was sent by her father to gain intel on Ichika as he was the only male who could pilot an IS at the time. In order to become accepted into IS Academy, she had changed her identity to say that she was a guy before being revealed after the tournament.

"Sounds like I'm not the only one who's been through some heavy stuff... Sorry to hear that." You say as you finish up your bread.

"Thank you for your concern but I'm fine now." There was an awkward silence in the air as you stared at Charlotte who just stares down before looking up. "Um... Do you need help with anything?"

"Eh?" You were confused for a bit.

"I was wondering if you needed help with anything before preparing for the exams tomorrow. I can help you over some stuff if you'd like." Charlotte offers with a smile as you blushed a bit.

"S-Sure. I'd like all the help I can get."