Chapter 73

It takes me about ten minutes to wrap my head around everything that's been discovered in the last half hour or so, before I stuff the gun back inside my jeans' waistband. Matt's eyes haven't left the sight of mine this entire time, but I refuse to let our old memories get the best of my judgement this time, so I decide to keep it as confidential yet straight forward as possible.

"Alright, look," I finally say, and he loosens his stiff shoulders just a bit, "now that I finally know exactly what happened, there's only one way for you to buy your life out from me. I need a few connections. If you can do that, I'll let you walk away, forgetting anything and everything that has to do with you. If not, consider yourself dead within the next five minutes. Your choice." 

        He gulps, attempting to read my true intentions from my eyes. I can only hope that he doesn't see right through me because I don't think I'd ever have the heart to actually kill him despite everything.

"Anything, I'll do anything you need." 

        And now we're talking, you fucking asshole.

"For starters, you have a laptop on you?" 

        He nods his head, although I can see that he's wondering why I'm asking.

"It's in my car."

"What about one of those programmed self-destructive GPS trackers?"

"Yes, but why-"

"Get up then," I say as I bring the gun back out for leverage, pointing it straight at him, "cuz you're going to need both." 

        He does as he's told, straying away from any other questions that he now knows won't get answered.

*

"Alright, I've finished requesting both the fake badge and concealed handgun permit document like you asked. A friend of mine will be here with both in a few," he tells me as he closes his laptop and places it back inside his car.

"They better look legit," I warn him, the gun to my side but still in his clear sight.

"Remember Operation Condor's Claw back in Budapest?" I nod my head. We needed unlimited access to like three different buildings, and at one point, we had lost all connection to the agency at the time. How could I forget? "Well, this is the same guy who hooked us up with those badges that got us through all that security when our connection with the agency went down." If this is true, then I should be good to go. "María?" Matt suddenly calls cautiously. I turn to him. "I know I don't have the right to ask nor do I deserve to know after everything, but can you please just tell me what you need all of this?"

"You're right...you have no right, nor do you deserve to know," I answer him as simple as that. 

        He desperately sighs in defeat.

"María-" Matt's cut off by the sound of a roaring engine approaching us. 

        The two of us look ahead just in time for the bright red 2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast -can I just say God DAYUM- to come to a complete stop.

        I quickly shove Matt in front of me, pressing the gun to his lower back, as a male figure around Matt's age -who is twenty-five- steps out of the Italian goddess. He too is wearing shades but takes them off as he begins walking towards us.

"Matt! Baby! Long time no see!" The fraud genius greets Matt with open arms.

"One slip up and you're done," I whisper in Matt's ear before I nudge him to accept the hug, hiding the gun behind me as he does so.