I

~ N a z n e e n ~

Kajal stained eyelids, bright red lips and a small dot on her temple was what greeted her as she looked at the mirror. Big gold jhumkas sparkled in the lights of the flickering yet bright flames of the numerous lamps on the stands, a long chain with a beautiful pearl locket hung round her neck; white flowers were braided into her hair like a crown and a simple gold nose ring completed her look.

The countless golden bangles on her hand clinked as she tied the ghunghrus on her ankles, it's sound ringing through the room as she gave it a slight tap. With a sinister smile on her face, she sat up straight to look at herself in the grand mirror. Feeling satisfied, she stood up and twirled in her beautiful gold dress. Her eyes closed, she breathed in and wondered even if it was just for a few seconds, how it would be to be a part of the royal family, the luxuries she'd be able to enjoy, however it was only a dream, a dream that will never come true.

The loud trumpet like sound brought her back from her reverie, the prince!  With a final glance at the mirror, she ran as fast as she could through the long corridors, the sound of her ghunghrus catching the attention of the guards and maids on duty. The cold breeze hit her face as her hair literally flew.

Entering the main court, she halted and slowed her steps, walking inside the huge, and grandly decorated room. Candles were lit everywhere, mirrors and glass reflecting the light throughout the room.

The golden throne embellished with precious stones and a fabric with intricate designs completed the masterpiece which was on the elevated platform to show the higher status and power of the royalties. A line of chairs were placed right below the elevated platform on either sides, they too were covered with equally beautiful embroidered fabrics but yet, they looked much dull when compared to the throne.

Nazneen stood with the other dancers in a corner, waiting for the prince. He was known as a kind and just person like his father, a man who introduced to the society, acceptance and tolerance. However, no one had seen him since many years, he had travelled to a far away country for his training and education, right after which he had immediately traveled to other destinations, mainly to conquer the places and create strong alliances.

The sound of footsteps reached the ears of those in the room, indicating the arrival of the prince along with the king and the soldiers who were beside them. The ministers seated on their assigned chairs rose as the crowd entered, Layla could see the royal women on the balcony covered by a net cloth look forward closely to see the prince, especially the queen, Amara who had been longing to see her beloved son.

A continuous chain of gasps were heard as the prince entered, Nazneen could hear the dancers in front of her whispering how handsome the young man looked. However, she had no luck in seeing him due to her short height and the fact that the taller dancers were in front of her.

However she couldn't be less bothered as she looked around for the man who had her completely under his maya if you could call it that. He had to be amongst the soldiers who had accompanied the king she thought, she looked for the captivating hazel green eyes but to her disappointment, she failed to find him.

A smile appeared on her lips as she remembered him, she had met him only three nights ago but within these nights, he had intrigued her with his wit, understanding and just the way he carried himself was enough for her to swoon over the young soldier who's face she was yet to see. She sighed at that, the man was always covering his face with a long blueish-grey cloth as if an outsider, a rat but she let that thought slide thinking he did so while he rode the horse and practiced his skills.

A chorus of voices shouted praises of the prince and the king Hamid but she tuned it all out as she continued to think about the man who had asked her to meet him at nine on this dark, yet moon lit night. Three claps from one of the ministers indicated that it was time for her to dance, the dancers went forward and took their positions, although Nazneen was not the main dancer, that didn't matter to her, she always tried to do her best.

The music began and so did their dance, thus began the grand jashn in honor of the brave and young prince. Nazneen performed just as she had practiced regularly and sometime during her dance, she was able to catch a glimpse of the strikingly handsome prince who had the same green eyes.

It seemed to her as if green eyed people caught her attention, specifically men who had green eyes. For the moment she saw the prince, his beautiful eyes was what she noticed first and immediately her mind went to her forbidden romance, her knight with a greyish-blue scarf.

After long 15 years, the prince had returned, more powerful than before having conquered many territories across the country.

Nazneen was just a red figure along with all the girls who danced full of enthusiasm, many hoping to please the prince or the king for a favour. Little Nazneen, the youngest of all the dancers had no interest of that sorts towards the prince, he was just another man she reminded herself before things got out of hand and besides, her mind and heart were occupied by the mysterious warrior she often met at night, Shahryar.