Chapter One: I'll Make It Up To You

The clock struck three and the students filed out of the room to either catch their bus or wait for their parents to pick them up. I sat behind my desk, grading papers and trying to suppress the irritation and disappointment I was feeling.

For the past four weeks, Aaron has been gone on Job after job after job, meaning I have been crazy busy, and have only had contact with two six year olds, a five year old, and my ex-husband. Last night was supposed to be the night that finally, Aaron would be back, and he was going to take me out on a date. The kids, Jack included, had already made plans to be with Ben that night, so I had dressed up, eager to see Aaron and show him my recent haircut. My hair had once fallen to the middle of my back, but now came to rest just under my chin.

He was supposed to pick me up at seven. Seven turned into eight, and eight turned into midnight, and then I woke up this morning with a text saying that he had gotten home alright. No explanation, no apologies, which could only mean one thing. He forgot. The was a knock on the door and I didn't have to look up to know who it was. Jack bolted across the room and that told me all I needed to know.

"Daddy!" He shouted.

"Hey, buddy!" He laughed. I just kept grading my papers, not bothering to look up. I felt his tall figure come and stand beside me.

"Hi, honey." He bent down and kissed the top of my head and I just looked at him, causing him to furrow is eyebrows. "Is everything ok?"

"I don't know Aaron, you tell me." I turned towards him, crossing my legs and arms expectantly. He searched my eyes, clearly looking for whatever he had done wrong. Then realization flashed across his eyes. I nodded.

"We had a date last night."

"Mhm. I got all dressed up, did my makeup, all to sit on my couch and wait for a date that never happened and for a boyfriend that never showed up."

"I am so sorry." He said. "We landed and I got caught up in paperwork, and I completely forgot-"

"Yes, well that much was obvious." I pointed out. "And you know, we talked about this. You being gone for work is one thing, but you deliberately taking on extra work, you can't do that-"

"I know, I know, and I'm sorry. It'll never happen again, I swear." I nodded, looking down at my papers again. Aaron crouched down,  resting his elbows on my legs and taking both my hands in his, forcing me to look at him. I sighed and he pressed my hands against his mouth. "I'll make it up to you...I promise."

"How do you propose you do that?" I questioned.

"By taking you somewhere."

"What, now?" I asked. He nodded, pulling me out of my chair, causing both of us to stand up. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed a short, passionate kiss to my mouth. I smiled. He leaned back, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Did you cut your hair?" He asked, tucking the short brown strands behind my ear. I nodded.

"I was planning on revealing that fact to you on our date last night." He sighed. "Ok, ok, I'm done with the passive aggressive statements. Just don't do it again."

"I won't. Promise." He kissed me again before grabbing my hand and leading me out of the classroom with Jack, Charlotte, and Sadie in tow.

~~~

Aaron pulled my car to a stop in front of a beautiful house.

"What are we doing here?" I asked. "Who's house is this?"

"Well, depending on the answer to the question I'm about to ask you...its ours." My eyes widened.

"What?"