Chapter Three: Live With The Decisions

As we were taking the throw pillows off of the bed later that night, I could once again see the wheels turning in Aaron's head.

"Stop it." I said, turning down the sheets and walking over to my vanity to remove my earrings.

"Stop what?" Aaron asked. I rolled my eyes.

"You're profiling. Probably about Ben if I had to guess."

"You kicked him out." He stated. "Whatever it was you two talked about, it must've been pretty serious." I sighed.

"I might have overreacted." I answered, looking at him in the mirror. "But its just...its so confusing. He went from giving you first date advice and volunteering to watch Jack, to saying that you're not good enough for me and you're a screw up and everything. Its a complete 180 out of nowhere. What is up with that?" I looked down at the vanity again as I put my earrings in my jewelry box, only to feel Aaron's strong arms wrap around my waist, hugging me from behind. I sighed, leaning back against his chest. He pressed his mouth to the side of my head.

"Our relationship is getting more serious," He pointed out, "That would be hard for any ex-husband, especially if he hasn't gotten over you." my eyes widened and I turned to face him.

"What?" I asked. He sighed now.

"I didn't mean to-"

"Why did you say that?" I asked. He raked a hand through his hair, giving me a knowing look. "Aaron, did you profile him?"

"Its like an instinct now, I can't just turn it off."  I shook my head.

"I can't..." I shook my head. "I need to go talk to him."

"What, now?" Aaron asked, as I grabbed my coat, throwing it on over my pajamas.

"I'm not gonna be able to sleep until I clear all of this up." I said, hurriedly tying my short hair into a stubby ponytail and slipping my shoes on. "Are you good to stay with the kids?"

"Yeah, they're asleep anyways." He said. "Are you sure about this?"

"Sure about what?" I asked.

"Going to talk to him...alone." I raised my eyebrows. "Its just, if he's still in love with you-"

"He's not gonna try anything," I told him, "And if he does, I'll say no and I'll leave, simple as that." Aaron still looked Skeptical. " What?" He shook his head.

"Nothing. I trust you. I know you can take care of yourself." I sighed, instantly feeling guilty for my irritated mood. I walked over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "I know you just got back, and were all excited about the house and...I'm just ruining your good mood. I'm sorry."

"You're not ruining anything." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Its your children's father we're talking about. I know you want to do anything you can to keep him in their lives, and its important that they see you getting along." I smiled.

"Thank you for understanding."

"Of course." He smiled and I stood on my toes, pressing my lips against his. "Hurry back, though. We have some catching up to do." My eyes widened and I pulled away from him.

"Aaron!" I scolded, causing him to laugh. I kissed him one last time and then grabbed my car keys and headed out the door.

~~~

When I got to Ben's place, the lights were on, so I knew he wasn't asleep. I walked up to the front door, lightly knocking on it. I could hear the TV inside stop and then the door opened, revealing Ben also in his pajamas. He had my Tupperware container in his hand, filled with half-eaten lasagna. He furrowed his eyebrows.