1.1

Avett Fell munched on a honey and oats granola bar as she walked down a dead street.

It was her 3rd week back in Mystic Falls and she was opening the Grill on this chilly Saturday morning. Matt insisted that she didn't need to cover weekend morning shifts, the earliest the grill was ever open, but she wanted too. Matt was still a high schooler after all, he was just a kid. He needed a break and she needed to step up. The business was hers now after all.

The house left behind by her parents was on the outskirts of town, just outside the city limits. But still she preferred to walk in to work. It only took 15-20 minutes at a leisurely pace and she enjoyed the fresh air.

The sun was just starting to rise as she finally walked into town. She didn't come across anyone else as she made it to the restaurant. As this early time Mystic Falls seemed even sleepier than usual. 

She let herself into the Grill and sighed happily. This place was like a sanctuary amid an otherwise hellish life. It was the last good thing Avett had. Was it dark to admit that if she didn't have this place, she wouldn't really have a point?

Avett threw her stuff down and opened the blinds on the windows, hoping the sun would crowd out the bad thoughts. It was a trick her mother swore by. "The bad thoughts won't have any room to grow if the sun is hogging it all," she used to say.

She continued on the opening duties; flipping lights, unlocking doors, starting up the register, etc., all while trying to shove down any thoughts or emotions about her mom. It wasn't working.

Nearly a month Avett had been back in town now, yet the girl didn't have much to show for it. She spent most, if not all, of her time at the Grill relearning the place. She barely knew anybody besides the people who worked for her. She'd begun to memorize the regulars who came in often, but none enough to call anything other than acquaintances. She was still completely and utterly alone.

And as hard as it may be to believe, she didn't mind being alone. She found the shadows comforting. They'd always welcomed her with open arms, which was more than she could say for others in her life.

Avett put on a pot of coffee and sat at a booth, watching as the sun continued to rise and the town woke up. It was peaceful, but it didn't last long. The familiar ring of the bell above the front door broke the girl from her thoughts.

A young kid walked in, a frown on his face and hands shoved into his pockets. "Are you guys open?"

The Fell girl glanced at the clock on the wall which only read 7:32. "Technically not until 8:00, but you can come in."

"Cool, thanks."

She got up to pour her coffee as the kid sat himself towards the back. She paused before deciding to pour another cup for him.

"You look like you need it," she explained as she walked over and set the mug down in front of him.

He rolled his eyes, "Gee, thanks."

Avett shrugged, turning away when-

"Wait-sorry. I'm having kind of a shitty morning."

She grinned, sliding into the seat across from him with her cup of caffeine in tow. "I get it, no hard feelings. I'm Avett."

"Jeremy. Are you new around here? I don't think I've ever seen you before."

"Yeah, I've only been around for a couple weeks. I spend most of my time here."

"That's cool. You work here or something?"

"Something like that. You're looking at the new owner."