1.4

Avett Fell woke up Saturday morning unusually chipper. Things seemed to be looking up for her after all.

She whistled, literally whistled, as she got up and started the day. She showered, ate breakfast, and dug out a pair of old jean overalls from a box in the back of her moms old closet.

Avett was tidying up the kitchen when her phone finally rang.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Avett?"

"Stefan Salvatore! Good morning, this is she."

"I apologize for calling unexpected, Elena gave me your number."

"No worries Salvatore, I was just about to start hauling paint out of my truck. What's up?"

He sighed and for a moment Avett worried everyone had changed their minds and no longer wanted to help paint and tidy up the old house.

"Elena and Jeremy can't make it today. Jeremy got in trouble with the sheriff and Elena is down at the station getting everything sorted out."

"Oh no, are they ok? Do they need back up?"

"They're ok, Jeremy got caught smoking pot and Elena's working out community service instead of a charge. She's really sorry she can't come."

"Hey no worries, I completely understand. Jeremy needs to come first. We'll do it some other time."

"I can be over in about an hour if you'd still like the help."

Avett hesitated, surprised that Stefan was still willing to come help. "Sure, thanks. I'll send you the address."

"Thanks, see you in a bit?"

She agreed before hanging up, shoving the phone into her back pocket after sending Stefan her address and adding his new contact.

So it was just gonna be her and Stefan today.

Awkward

░▒▓██▓▒░

"I'm sorry Elena and Jeremy couldn't make it," was the first thing Stefan said after arriving at the house exactly one hour later. "If you'd rather wait until a day they can come too I'd totally understand."

Avett stood on the front porch and rested a hand on her forehead to block the sun from her eyes. "That's ok, I think the two of us can get along just fine. Plus it'll give you a chance to gush and gossip all about Elena."

Stefan gave the young woman a look which she had now determined was his signature Stefan look.

"Don't look at me like that. You're head over heels, I can see that much. It's refreshing, gives the rest of us lonely folk some hope."

Stefan rested a hand on his hip, looking hilariously ridiculous. "Do you actually need any help or was this just an excuse to gossip about my love life?"

"I'll have you know, Stefan Salvatore, that I can work and gossip at the same time. It's called multi-tasking."

He rolled his eyes. "So what are we doing first?"

"Well, I was thinking first we could repaint the cabinets and walls in my kitchen. They're all peeling so I bought some scrapers and a shit ton of paint."

"Sounds good. I've painted many a wall in my days."

"If I'd known you were going to paint with the new girl in town I would have offered my services," a sing song voice interrupted.