v. the fake date

"HEY, I NEED a favour

"HEY, I NEED a favour."

Rosa rarely asked anyone for favours. In the last month, Jamie had never once heard Rosa ask anyone for anything, other than something concerning a case. Granted, she also spent exactly 2% of her time with Rosa outside of cases, so that would make sense. Rosa was private, and Jamie respected that; so was she. She looked up from her desk at Rosa's words, an eyebrow raised.

"You need a favour?"

"Yes, I do. Can you help?" Rosa seemed unimpressed, but Jamie didn't really know why. Then again, she didn't care. As long as she didn't get fired or arrested, she'd do just about anything. Or maybe she would do something that could get her fired; it wasn't like she cared about this job anyway. She could find another if this one fell through in an instant.

"Can you at least tell me what it is first?" Another raised eyebrow. Rosa shifted, seeming uncomfortable, but Jamie also didn't trust her perception of Rosa at all. Rosa seemed like a trickster. She probably was. She was really private, at the least. It was a fact Jamie repeated whenever something new about Rosa came up, which was actually fairly often. Even her closest friends were typically surprised by whatever tidbit she revealed about herself, whether she revealed it willingly or not.

"Uh, I need a date. A date to a wedding. I told my friends I have a girlfriend but I totally lied, so can you help me out? I'd ask Gina, but she just had a kid."

"What does having a kid have to do with it?" Jamie asked. All she knew about Gina was that she was a civilian worker on maternity leave, and now, that she wouldn't do Rosa a favour as a result. Jamie kind of thought that was rude of her; then again, Jamie's own mom took the most care with her two children growing up, so she got it, she supposed. Regardless of the reason, Rosa shrugged ever so slightly in response to the question.

"She said something about weight and how it makes her look 'less like the human form of the 100 emoji'. We stopped asking a while ago."

"Amy?"

"Too clearly straight and into Jake." Jamie laughed slightly at that- Rosa was totally right, Amy was too clearly straight. Plus, anyone in a thirty mile radius could see that she had the biggest heart eyes for Jake. Well, that, and Jamie seriously doubted Amy would take off her engagement ring for even a second.

"Anyone else?"

"Unavailable. Look, Callister, I just need a favour. Just act like you're into me for three hours, and we'll call it a day, okay? It's Saturday. I'll owe you one, seriously."

Jamie paused, watching Rosa inquisitively. She was shifting from foot to foot, watching Jamie with no expression except Rosa's usual one. She really, genuinely needed help. Well, what the hell. Rosa was interesting, and she had an arsenal of hidden talents, so if she owed Jamie a favour, well...

"Fine. Count me in. But you owe me a huge favour. Like, seriously huge. Deal?"

Rosa held Jamie's gaze for a long moment, and when she appeared to be satisfied with whatever she was judging- Jamie's seriousness about the actual interaction, no doubt- she held out a hand. Jamie shook it, and Rosa gave a rare smile.