Chapter 8

"You were gone for a long time" Claire said as Adara sat down beside her.

    "Yeah sorry about that. Got a bit distracted."

    Selina sat with Aster, looking up at the stars. He was watching them so intently. It made her wonder what it was like. What the stars said to him. What the stars thought of him. Did the stars speak the way they spoke, or did they communicate in a different way? She wished she could share this with him.

    "What are they telling you?" Selina asked, watching him.

    "Uh. Nothing really. Just speaking about the night" Aster said, looking over at her.

    She looked so beautiful in the moonlight. Her bright white eyes sparkled as the moon struck them. He began to blush, leaning himself back while supporting his body with his arms extended behind him as he sat with her.

    "Sometimes they don't have much to say. I listen and watch the formations to see if they are doing alright."

    "How can you tell?"

    Aster looked over at her with a soft smile. He never got to share much with people like this. People of the Star Kingdom saw stars every day and although he was the only one able to speak with them, no one was interested. He took care of it and that was all that mattered. Even the past princess wasn't interested. Although, she had bigger matters to attend to...

    He pointed up at the stars. "They separate here. I guess they want another star. The workload gets a bit much for them."

    Selina tried to see, but couldn't. She leaned over, her body shifting closer to Aster. She tried to make out where he was pointing to, leaning close enough that her back was leaned against him. Her head beside his as she stared at the stars.

    He felt her back against him. He looked at her, trying not to breathe too heavily so she wouldn't feel his breaths against her back. Her face was very close to his, his nose almost touching her cheek as he looked at her.

    "Oh! I see it!" Selina announced pointing up at the sky.

    She turned to look at him, a smile on her face. He swallowed hard as he looked into her eyes. He never had been this close to her before. Now he could see even more of her beauty.

    Selina's smile slowly faded off of her face, becoming serious. Aster was handsome, she suddenly found herself thinking. She started feeling a bit warm, wanting to pull herself back from him, but at the same time wanting to stay in the moment forever.

    He wanted to kiss her. Maybe make a move while he had the chance. Then maybe she would understand how he felt. But, as much as he wanted to, he knew he couldn't. They could never be together. He knew all too well of the consequences of being with a different race.

    Still, he found himself leaning closer to her face. It was like he had no control of his body at all. His mind was screaming no, but his heart was pushing him forward.

    Selina's heart started beating faster. She didn't move but instead watched him move. He was close to her. Close enough that she could feel his breath on her lips. Slowly, she closed her eyes.

    Aster stopped, his lips just an inch from her face.

    "Ahem... Um..." Aster coughed, turning his head away from Selina.

    She opened her eyes. The moment was over and she felt a bit disappointed. She wasn't sure what she wanted to have happened and felt a bit shocked that she was upset.

    "I guess we should get some sleep. Long day tomorrow" Aster said quickly, laying himself down on the cold forest ground.

    "Okay... Night" Selina spoke, moving over from him to give him space to sleep.