Chapter 2 - The Rogue Steed

By the time she made it back to the Rogue Steed Tavern, Sana was in tears. She collapsed at the table nearest the entrance and let her bag fall to her side. With her head in her arms, she began to sob. The pub was mostly empty except for the bartender and a single barmaid who were cleaning up for the night. They were arguing, as always, but Sana was too distraught to pay any attention.

“Damn it Bernard, I don’t CARE what time it is, just get her a bloody drink, would you? Don’t argue with me, does it look like she cares what you bring her?” The barmaid snapped. The bartender sputtered, but the barmaid ignored him and threw her towel on the counter as she made her way toward Sana.

“Aww honey, shush, it’ll be alright.” She put a hand on Sana’s shoulder. “I see you completed the job. Did something happen?”

Sana nodded into her arm, but said nothing, her body wracking with tears.

“Huh, did she carry out the job? You know Faren is going to be pissed if she didn’t.” Bernard appeared at the pretty barmaid’s shoulder, placing a glass of water on the table. “That’s the second job botched this week, and you know he’s going to take it out on somebody. Those clients are a big source of his income and- SHIT! Is she crazy?!” He shouted, spotting the bag on the floor. “Bringing that in here?! If she were seen, we would both-“

“Bernard, kitchen, now!” The barmaid’s beautiful blonde hair bounced as she turned to smack him, but he dodged out of the way just in time.

“Whatever. Just get that stuff out of here, okay? If the guards come in here, you two are on your own, Kaya.” Bernard left and disappeared behind the bar.

“Sweetheart, please tell me what happened,” the older girl cooed, stroking Sana’s hair. Although strict, Faren treated all of his employees, both the thieves and the workers of the tavern, like family. Most of them had no other families of their own, and often looked out for each other. Kaya herself was looked up to particularly as the motherly figure of the group, even though she was barely out of her twenties.

“I- I… I was caught,” Sana finally gasped.

There came a sudden crash from the kitchen, and a loud swear. “She WHAT?!”

Kaya was quick to retaliate. “CAN IT BERNARD!”

“I’m sorry Kaya,” Begging for forgiveness, Sana looked up into Kaya’s round green eyes. “I’m so sorry,” she whimpered.

“Oh, you poor thing. What happened? You didn’t-“ Her eyes darkened. “No… It wasn’t the guards, was it?”

Sana nodded.

“Oh… No… What did they do to you?”

“Nothing. They… They’re all dead.” Sana began sobbing again.

“She KILLED CITY GUARDS?! Oh no. Oh for the love of the Divine… Get her out of here! We can’t harbor a murderer!”

Kaya didn’t even bother to yell back this time; she took a step backward, visibly shaken. “Is this true, Sana?"

“No, no, it wasn’t me!” And without another word, she threw the playing card onto the table.

Kaya gasped. “Where did you get that?”

“What, what is it?” Came the voice from the kitchen.

“Bernard, you might want to come see this.”

He was by her side in an instant, wiping his hands off on his apron. “Is that…”

“The face of the Harlequin,” Kaya breathed.

“I know he’s our patron god, but who exactly is he?” Sana sniffed and wiped her eyes on her sleeve. “I thought the Gods left this world a hundred years ago.”

“They did,” Bernard said, “After the Great War, the Gods all disappeared. They say the Gods no longer needed this mortal plane for some reason. The Harlequin was one of the last to leave. He- Wait. You didn’t SEE him, did you?”

Sana nodded. “He’s the one who killed the guards. A card similar to this one struck them with lightening. He… saved me.”

“Well, that makes sense dear,” Kaya nodded sagely. “The Harlequin was said to favor thieves and brigands.”

“Do you even hear yourself?” Bernard laughed incredulously. “It does NOT make sense. No one has seen him in nearly a hundred years. Why would he suddenly just appear to save her, out of the blue? Did he do anything else, Sana? Did he speak to you?”

“No, just this.” Sana reached out and flipped the card over, revealing the heart with the dagger sticking out of it. “I don’t suppose that means anything?”

Bernard picked up the card and held it up to a candle on the table. “This… I’m pretty sure this is some sort of curse. Seriously, Sana. The Harlequin was known to write the fate of his victims on playing cards before he killed them. You need to get out of here before you call him upon us all,” He quickly placed the card back on the table and began pacing back and forth. “This is not good, this is not good.”

Kaya frowned, and held out a hand to stop Bernard. “Wait, that doesn’t make sense either. Why would the Harlequin save her life if he just means to kill her himself? But I do agree with you one thing. She does need to leave. I think she needs to get out of town entirely. It isn’t safe for you here anymore, dear. If anyone saw you at the manor, your life could be on the line. You need to leave town and hide out for a while. I’d give it a few months, at the best bet.”

“But where am I supposed to go?” Sana sighed in frustration. “I have no family, this place is the only home I’ve had for the last five years. I have no skills, I can’t cook or clean, my only knowledge consists of how to pick a lock and how to avoid being seen. There’s nowhere else I can survive other than here in Marefort, working for Faren.”

“Hmm… How about Bryndale?” Kaya said thoughtfully, taking a seat next to Sana. “I heard there’s a pretty prestigious guild there, one that makes Faren’s operation look like little more than a petty scam. I mean, it might be a little difficult to get in, but I’m sure you could do it.”

“You really think I should relocate my entire life? Marefort is the only town I’ve ever known. I’ve never been much further than the outskirts.”

“Sana, if you were seen, you could be killed tomorrow,” Bernard threw his hands into the air. “Killing a single city guard is a serious crime, not to mention killing a whole squadron. When those bodies are found, there will be hell to pay.”

“Bernard is right. Besides,” Kaya cooed, “Everything will be fine in Bryndale, Sana. I even have a cousin who lives there, Syren Fletcher. You could stay with her for a few months, and try to gain favor with the guild. Who knows, this might actually turn out to be a good thing. Audrey is driving a carriage out to the city tomorrow to pick up a supply of Bryndale Whiskey, and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind smuggling you in.”

“I… I guess you’re right,” Sana sniffed. “I’ll miss you.” She threw her arms around Kaya and gave her a tight hug. “And you too, Bernard, although not quite as much.” She gave him a small smile.

“Why don’t you get some sleep now, Sana? After the night you’ve had, you could use the rest. You can use the room upstairs if you want, Faren is out on business, and I’m sure he won’t mind,” Kaya said kindly as Sana stood up.

“I think I’ll take you up on that,” Sana smiled again. “If you don’t mind, of course, I really am tired. Goodnight you two. And goodbye, I suppose.” Sana turned and climbed the stairs, leaving Kaya and Bernard alone in silence, the bag of loot still by the table.

“Do you think she’ll be alright?” Kaya whispered, as she picked up the bag. She would take it to Faren when he returned.

“Do you really want to know what I think?” Bernard asked.

“Yes.”

“I think that if the Gods really are back and that if the Harlequin really is interested in her, then she has about as much chance surviving as I do becoming mayor of this town.”