Chapter 4

“Why don’t you guys head home now? We have all the information we need.” Jack said as he grabbed my jacket from the rack across his office. Stacy and I both stood in unison as he walked back to us. “If you want I could give you a ride or um...” he drifted away as he looked from me to Stacy before landing his eyes on me. I smiled at him and crossed my arms.

“Actually, I drove here so I have my car. But thanks for the offer.” He then pulled me in for a short hug along with Stacy. He really didn’t hide how he felt.

When he pulled away from us and our hugs he smiled at me. “I don’t care. I’m going to follow you home, just to make sure you get home safe.” It was useless to argue with a cop, especially Jack.

“Fine.” I said laughing at his expression like he was superior. I pushed Stacy gently towards the door indicating we were leaving. She looked at me through the side of her eye and winked at me. I turned around when I felt Jacks presence directly behind me. I leaned into his ear and whispered,” But don’t think I’m going to let you in. I know your secret intensions.” When I pulled my face away to see his face he was smirking but then faked a frown.

“Dammit.” We both continued out of the building chuckling. He really was like my big brother, a really attractive big brother.

Wait, what am I thinking? I have Logan. My husband. I quickly shook any thought of Jack out of my head other than he was the detective for Stacy’s case and he was a good friend. There couldn’t be anything more than that. I tried to convince myself of my thoughts but it became hard to except them when I had a stud, fit, cop in front of me.

Once in my car, I looked into my rearview mirror to see Jack getting into his black SUV. Before he got into his car though he looked towards me car, spotting my gaze, then smiled and blew a kiss my way.

What a dork. But it was cute. The rest of the ride I was all smiles.

“What are you all happy about?” Stacy finally said, addressing the elephant in the car. I turned to look at her as we stopped at a red light.

“I don’t know.” I honestly didn’t know. Was I developing feelings for this man I haven’t even known for a month? Is that possible? I’ve only had feelings for Logan, and we have known each other for years. “Aubrey?”

“What?” I said as Stacy interrupted my thoughts.

She sighed as she tilted her head back. “I said what’s going on with you and Detective Matthews?” she was staring me down now as I thought about what was going on.

“I mean, we are sweet on each other, a lot. We are good friends nothing more. And, we did go out to dinner and drinks a couple of times.” Stacy raised her eyes at me and I took that as a sign of shock. “We were with friends, not alone. Don’t worry. I wouldn’t do anything to hurt Logan.”

She nodded her head sympathizing with me. Was there sympathy? Did I deserve it?

Hell, why must I make these 8 moths miserable as I wait around for Logan to return. I might as well take the time to have fun times with friend.

“So you have no feelings for Jack other than friendship?” by the tone of her voice and the expression on her face I could tell she knew I wasn’t telling the whole story. She must have heard my thoughts earlier but that’s impossible.

“I don’t know Stacy.” She shook her head and turned it to face her window as she watched the road. I returned my head to the road in front of me as I drove on.

I decided Stacy should stay with either her parents or Dean. She chose Dean only because her parents haven’t returned her calls since she moved out. She needed to be somewhere where she could feel safe and secure. Considering Dean Lives in a heavily guarded apartment building with security all over I figured she would feel at ease.