Chapter 1

Sabrina sprints down the stairs and into the kitchen, where her Aunties and cousin are sitting quietly, following their daily routines. Auntie Zee has already begun smoking as she reads the daily witch newspaper, her eyes skimming over an article about how some mortal accidentally summoned the wrong demon and wound up dead. Ambrose looks over the obituaries in their local paper to see if they will have any bodies coming in for them to work on, while Auntie Hilda stands behind the stove, cooking breakfast for the family. When she hears Sabrina noisily enter the kitchen, she immediately looks up.

"Want any breakfast dear? I have some banana bread that is just about to come out of the oven."

"Thanks, Aunt Hilda but I'm running late for school, I'm just gonna take an apple to go."

"Now we wouldn't want you to be late love! Have a good day, say hello to Roz, Theo, and Har-"

She cuts herself off right before she says Harvey's name, not sure if Sabrina wants to talk about him, due to their recent breakup.

"You can say his name Auntie Hilda, we broke up a couple of weeks ago."

"And good on you. That mortal boy was holding you back anyway," her Aunt Zelda chimes in.

"Harvey didn't hold me back Auntie Zee. We just couldn't be together after all the stuff with Tommy and now he doesn't trust magic"

"That's a whole half of who you are Sabrina, and if he couldn't deal with that he didn't deserve you" Zelda chides, her slight caring nature coming out for a brief moment

"It's probably because he comes from a family of witch hunters, it must run in his blood," Ambrose adds, not looking up from his paper.

"Harvey wouldn't hurt me even if he doesn't trust my magic. Shoot, I really have to run. Bye Aunties, bye Ambrose, I'll see you after school."

"Bye Sabrina, be safe," Hilda yells after her as he runs out the front door.

~

The halls of Baxter High are swarming with kids when Sabrina arrives. She quickly dodges around people, rushing to her locker to get her trigonometry textbook out before the homeroom bell rings. When she finally gets to her locker, her fingers stumble to put in the combination and as she pulls it open, Theo and Roz walk up to her, clearly in a heated discussion about a film that they watched together. Their conversation halts when they get to Sabrina as the trio begin to talk.

"Hey Sabrina, what are you doing this weekend?" Theo asks in a somewhat hopeful way.

"Not sure yet, I don't have any plans at the moment. Why, what's up?"

"The movie theater is doing a marathon of Cronenberg films Friday night, we were wondering if you'd wanna come with us" Roz responds excitedly, pushing her glasses back up the bridge of her nose.

"Yeah, I'd be down as long as my Aunties don't need me to do anything for them"

"Hell yeah, so it's the three of us and Harvey then" Theo states, causing Sabrina to freeze for a moment as she thinks about all the times that she and Harvey went to the movies together, his arm wrapped around her, encouraging her to cuddle into his side as they munched on popcorn and Twizzlers. She shakes the thoughts out of her head as quickly as she can.

"Shit, the homeroom bell is about to ring. I'll talk to you guys later though!" Roz says as she turns to sprint to homeroom.

"I better go too, see you later Brina" Theo says as he begins to walk the opposite way.

Sabrina takes that as her cue to zip up her bag and slam her locker shut as she begins a mad dash to get to homeroom on time. She already has 3 tardies this semester and her Aunts will kill her if she gets a detention. She slips into the room right as the bell rings, and she slips into her desk, catching her breath as she waits for the morning announcements to begin.