Chapter 1 - The Capture

It was towards the end of the third age, when the ring of power was still hidden but Sauron was making his presence know again. Dark powers were beginning to stir in Middle Earth, as the shadow of Mordor continued to grow.

Nicassius, a lady of of Rohan, had travelled as a pilgrim with a group of her people to a small village East of the river Anduin, in between the Misty Mountains and the great forest of Mirkwood. It was the furthest she had even been from her home and her family. Against her mothers wishes, she had left her parents and her two older brothers behind and volunteered to go with the misionary group, partly because she felt she needed to help and partly because she felt she no longer belonged in the place where she was raised.

The village had been plagued by disease and it's people were in need of aid. Once they arrived the group set up camp just outside and had been there for some days. One afternoon, Nicassius went out riding alone, she got a little over ambitious and had ventured too far from the settlement, she came to a stop at the edge of the great forest of Mirkwood. Her people said it was a dangerous place and had forbidden her to go there, but she craved adventure and had heard stories of old about the forest and the whispering trees, Elves, Wizards and other legends. There had also been rumors of a sorceress, an enchanted witch who was causing the plague of illness within the village. The local people feared her and believed she was a shape shifter who could mold herself into other beings, even Elves.

Nicassius had not met many Elves, they had passed a group of them while traveling and the tall super human-like beings fascinated her. She sat on her horse at the edge of the forbidden woods staring in at the darkness, the trees twisted into odd shapes that almost made them look like they would come alive, She felt a pull towards it, a strange compelling feeling to go inside. She trotted forwards entering in a trance like state and followed a path that lead through the trees. The forest was old and mysterious and she studied her surroundings curiously as she continued deeper. After a while she realized she had gone quite far and thought it best she turn back. As she retreated her horse Findal to head in the other direction, something spooked him and he suddenly rose on his hind legs causing her to fall backwards onto the ground, she jumped up quickly and tried to grab his reins but he struggled hard and she lost her grip as he bolted and ran off.

She brushed herself down and began to walk when out of nowhere an elderly lady appeared. Nicassius stepped backwards slightly startled by her. She was wearing a long hooded cloak and her face was old and withered, she had greying hair and deep green untrustworthy eyes.

"My dear are you lost?" Said the strange old woman.

"Well, no, but my horse got spooked and ran away so now I will have to walk home" Nicassius replied her tone annoyed.

"It is getting cold my dear, here, take my cloak to keep you warm on your journey" the woman smirked as she spoke.

"No, no I couldn't possibly" Nicassius protested "you will need it for yourself".

"I will be fine my dear, my cabin is just beyond those trees" she pointed through the dense woodland "you have far to walk, you need it more than I do" she insisted.

And with that he old lady began wrapping the cloak around her shoulders, she really did not want to take it but she was too polite to refuse so she accepted to gracefully. The old woman pulled the hood up over her head "there now, it fits you perfectly" she croaked.

Suddenly she could hear voices, she turned to see what it was, then turned back to the old lady but to her surprise the she had vanished completely into thin air! She stood still, slightly shocked as the trees around her began to rustle and before she knew it she was being surrounded by what looked like a group of Silvan Elves. She turned on her heel in a circle, they were everywhere, as she halted to a stop she came face to face with the end of an arrow and froze.

Wide eyed she gazed upon the group that surrounded her. The elves were tall and immaculate looking, with perfect skin and long neat hair, they had pointed ears and wore olive green and brown clothes that blended in with the colors of the forest.

"The witch!" One of them spoke "do not look into her eyes, for she will cast a spell on you"

She opened her mouth to speak in protest, a witch? Why did they think she was a witch, but before she could utter a word she was silenced by the Elf who's arrow was pointed straight at her.

"Do not speak sorceress, or you will die" she stood there not daring to move a muscle, the elf was tall, he had light brown hair and looked young, but his tone was that of an older male and his expression was like stone.

"Bind her hands and do not speak with her or look at her face" he ordered. "We will take her to the palace, king Thranduil will decide what to do with her".

Two of the elves dismounted from their horses and approached her, she tried to step backwards but there was nowhere for her to go as they took hold of her by her arms.

They firmly but carefully tied her hands "Please, i am not a witch" she cried. Ignoring her protests they wrapped a cloth around her mouth so she could not speak. They feared she may create spells by chanting. Her head was covered back over by the hood of the cloak so her eyes could not be seen by her captors'. She was frozen with shock and did not try to struggle. What will happen to me? she thought, my people will be looking for me, where will they take me? what will they do with me! Her mind raced, surely they will realize they are mistaken once they arrive at the castle? she will be able to explain herself to the King, she herself is a descendent of Kings, they will know that when she speaks, they will realize their mistake, they have too!

She was lifted upon a horse in front of a tall male elf and led off deeper into the woods. As they passed through the trees the memory of the old woman came to her, and her eyes scanned around searching for signs of a cabin. it can't be far, she thought, the lady could vouch for me, maybe she has heard the commotion and will come back and speak with the elves. But there was no cabin, and there was no sign of the old woman. They continued on in silence, moving further into the dark dense forest, further away from her camp and her people, she was afraid and confused.